Bizarre food combos you love!

I like pickles and peppermint

I'm thinking you are talking about these type of pickled cucumbers? In the UK 'pickles' means all sorts of savoury pickled vegetables and fruit.

1604424384435.png

I like salad cream and harissa on mashed potato. Yeah - weird, I know. Its the combination of spicy harissa, smooth comforthing potatoes and the cool (slightly sweet) 'from the fridge' salad cream.

I reckon we should attempt to explain why we like odd food combos if possible (not easy).

Last edited:
Chocolate with salmiak filling (salty liqourice). Can't think of much else except peanut butter/sambal/cucumber sandwiches which are a Dutch indonesian thing. Also crackers with cottage cheese and strawberry jam.

Oh and of course mayo on fries, which seems to be controversial in most of the world. I must just mention Dutch mayonaise is different in taste from those from any other country.

Friet or Patat? The ultimate guide to Dutch fries – DutchReview

Five Star (brand) Hot dog on a bun with Hellman's mayo
Scoop of chocolate ice cream with a scoop of orange sherbet
Cottage cheese, ketchup and black pepper and sometimes with diced onions
Breaded and fried yellow perch dipped in soy sauce

Most of these do not seem bizarre to me, apart from:
Pickles & peppermint
Salad cream and (pretty much anything)
These should carry a Government warning.

Pickles and peppermint is delicious! It's funny because people wondered if I liked it when I was pregnant. I didn't have any weird cravings when I was pregnant. I'm a chocoholic and got sick EVERY single time I tried to eat it while pregnant. That happened with both pregnancies. The funniest part is both my kids like chocolate. I guess they just didn't like in utero. ;-0

I like to dip Fritos corn chips in orange sherbet. That's about it for me, I think.

I'll add that it's common here, and I've posted pics before, but when I've done so in other places, I've raised eyebrows, and that's loading up a piece of white supermarket bread with lots of butter, and then putting spaghetti (with red sauce) on it, folding it over, and eating that. Here, spaghetti is always served with lots of bread and butter, just for that purpose.

I like to dip Fritos corn chips in orange sherbet. That's about it for me, I think.

I'll add that it's common here, and I've posted pics before, but when I've done so in other places, I've raised eyebrows, and that's loading up a piece of white supermarket bread with lots of butter, and then putting spaghetti (with red sauce) on it, folding it over, and eating that. Here, spaghetti is always served with lots of bread and butter, just for that purpose.

Spaghetti sandwiches are yummy.

Back
Top Bottom