Review BK Cookware Dutch Oven

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:00 AM
I love my dutch ovens. It's my desert island cooking vessel. I love the versatility. There isn't a lot that can't be prepared in a dutch oven.

In the past, I've owned enameled cast iron ones; either Lodge or Tramontina. Both performed well, and I never really saw the need to "upgrade" to a Staub or Le Creuset.

However, over the years, I've developed chronic tendon issues in all my arm joints, and lugging around a 6qt cast iron pot became a fairly painful exercise, to the point that I was skipping making things in it, in favor of lighter saucepans and stockpots. A poor substitution at best, IMO.

Purely by chance, I stumbled on a BK Cookware dutch oven in a local cook shop. These are different to the others in that they're enameled carbon steel, which is much lighter than cast iron. I picked up the display model and was amazed at the weight difference. I could easily handle the 5.5qt one with one hand.

I (asked for and) received one for Christmas, a smaller 3.5qt pot, in order to try it out and, if acceptable, get the larger one as well.

As you can see below, it was acceptable:

I got both the 3.5qt & the 5.5qt. The smaller one is great for "cooking for two" meals, generally no leftovers to worry about, and the bigger one works well for making a whole chicken, things like that, where you need a bigger pot.

So far, I've made chili, ham & bean soup, meatballs and red sauce, bread, and beef burgundy (and maybe a couple of things I'm forgetting), and I've been very happy.

They perform well, and the lid sits down well inside the pot, which is supposed to prevent boilovers. I do notice that when I'm cooking something and I go to take the top off, there's a bit of resistance, like it's formed a sort of seal.

They're also light, and are much easier for me to hand-wash. Unlike cast iron, these are also dishwasher-safe, though I've stuck to hand-washing so far.

The light weight is the one drawback I've found, actually - the heavier cast iron pots stay put on the stovetop, and I could stir the thickest of stew without the pot shifting. These are light enough that they usually require a hand to hold it still. The first thing I made was a thick chili, and the first time I stirred it with just one hand, I sent the pot sliding across my stovetop!

Besides that, they're very eye-catching, especially the signature royal blue interiors. They come in a range of attractive colors. I chose the green for the smaller one, and the black one was on clearance, so I grabbed that one for a bargain price.

Price...more than Lodge, less than Le Creuset & Staub. The 3.5qt cost about $130US, and the 5.5qt normally retails at $160US (I think). One was ordered through Amazon and one was bought locally in-shop.

I also giggle a little at their marketing. They're apparently a Dutch company, so their tag line is "The Dutch Dutch Oven," I like that. They're Dutch-designed and manufactured in Germany.

All said, highly satisfied, as are my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom