Black Bean Confusion

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
3:45 AM
There's black soy beans, usually fermented.

There's black mung beans, Urad Dal in India.

And there's Spanish black beans.

Which ones work best as a dessert? Has anyone had access to all three and were able to taste their particular characteristics? Or is it basically that a bean is a bean is a bean?

they do taste different. I have both Urad Dal and black turtle beans (aka Spanish black beans) and there is most definitely a difference. I use these mainly when I make black bean brownies which are really yummy and very moist.

1024px-Black_Turtle_Bean.jpg
"Black Turtle Bean" by Sanjay Acharya - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Black_Turtle_Bean.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Black_Turtle_Bean.jpg

grain_urad_dal.jpg
Whole, spilt and skinned & split Urad Dal.

I have never used black beans in a dessert but they sound like a wonderful addition to it. I am fairly new to the uses for black beans because I just started eating them in the last year, mainly in salads.

Thank you for the recipe! Believe me, I wouldn't be put off by anything that was vegan. I might have fallen off the vegan wagon myself, but I certainly have no prejudice against it flavor-wise or in principle or anything.

Thank you for the recipe! Believe me, I wouldn't be put off by anything that was vegan. I might have fallen off the vegan wagon myself, but I certainly have no prejudice against it flavor-wise or in principle or anything.
they are scrummy. I also have taken to adding big chocolate chunks to them now as well... :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom