black bean hummus

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
12:53 AM
A few months back I was watching the Food Network (probably triple D) and was intrigued to see black bean hummus. I'd never come across it before - and then, in May, a friend in Atlanta, GA mentioned it (and sent me a photo of her dish but unfortunately no recipe).

I'm hopeful of taking delivery of lots of tins of black beans later this month - and I'd like to make this hummus. Does anyone (perhaps US-based) have a favourite recipe they'd like to share? I searched the website but couldn't find one.

I'm sure I've made black bean hummus before but I didn't bother to record the recipe. I always have black beans in stock so its the sort of thing I make for the son and daughter's lunch boxes. I think I used toasted cumin seeds in it...

I'm sure I've made black bean hummus before but I didn't bother to record the recipe. I always have black beans in stock so its the sort of thing I make for the son and daughter's lunch boxes. I think I used toasted cumin seeds in it...

The Food Network recipe referred to above is dead simple - and it looks pretty bland. I'll use it as a basis for developing my own take on black bean hummus - and yes, something like toasted cumin seeds would be one way of making it more interesting, that's true.

I placed an order today with Amazon.fr for the Haricots Noir Bio that you'd spotted (you forwarded me the snapshot). So I shall be off and running soon

The Food Network recipe referred to above is dead simple - and it looks pretty bland. I'll use it as a basis for developing my own take on black bean hummus - and yes, something like toasted cumin seeds would be one way of making it more interesting, that's true.
I had expected the recipe to be, basically, a standard hummus recipe with black beans taking the place of chickpeas. But, there's no tahini in that recipe. I think I'll give it a try that way and see what happens, and then blend in tahini if the result doesn't taste right.

Not only is there no tahini in the FN recipe, but it also has both lemon juice and white wine vinegar. I reacted against that when I read it - and I think that I'll omit the wine vinegar in my first try.

Delighted to read that you use tahini when making hummus. I'd got the impression (I don't know where from) that a lot of US cooks used peanut butter, rather than tahini, when making hummus. Perhaps it works, I don't know, but I didn't like that idea at all.

it also has both lemon juice and white wine vinegar.

That does sound overkill!

Peanut butter in hummus? I've not heard of that one. But I suppose tahini and peanut butter do have slightly similar tastes. I personally prefer hummus without tahini but that is partly due to my permanent calorie watching. But I also think that too much tahini can make it quite heavy.

Shirley Eaton's black bean hummus

upload_2018-7-19_14-52-48.png

I've had black bean hummus before but have never made it. There are so many other things i prefer to make with black beans.

Back
Top Bottom