Recipe Black Bean,Yellow Pepper and Cumin Chili

CraigC

Guru
Local time
12:19 PM
We had a Halloween party for some co-workers, back when we seriously were into decorating the outside of our home. One of the guests is a vegetarian. Trying to find something that would please everyone, we found this recipe in a BA magazine. We still make it occassionally.

BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI
Ingredients
6 tblsp olive oil
1 12-oz onion coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1 large yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 tblsp cumin seeds
4 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies
2-4 garlic cloves (to taste), chopped fine
3 15-oz cans black beans, well drained
2 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
2 cups vegetable broth
Directions
1) Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
2) Add onion, bell pepper, and cumin seeds. Saute until onion is soft and golden, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
3) Add chipotles and garlic andstir 30 seconds.
4) Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, and vegetable broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium.
5) Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally,about 30 minutes.
6) Transfer 2 cups of chili to blender or processor. Blend to coarse paste, return to pot.
7) Simmer chili to thicken as desired.
8) Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Last edited:
Well, as you have tagged, its vegan too! I use black beans a lot. I love their smokey flavour. This sounds really similar to a chilli I make. Not sure if I have posted the Recipe here. I'll look...

Well, as you have tagged, its vegan too! I use black beans a lot. I love their smokey flavour. This sounds really similar to a chilli I make. Not sure if I have posted the Recipe here. I'll look...

We use black beans for both Cuban and Mexican meals, but the dishes aren't suitable for this sub forum.

We also did vegan and carnivore fajitas, grilled, sliced portabellos for the vegan or wanna eat lighters and skirt steak for the outright and nothing but carnivores, with a really, really tasty roasted red bell, chipotle, honey sauce that I just reminded Craig about. We'll have to find that recipe. I think I typed up both for our vegan friend so they should be in computer somewhere. He was glad to just be able to have fajitas again, as he had started out carnivore, then vegetarian, then vegan.

This sound good but where does one get canned chipolte chilies? Would adding a bit of ground chipolte work?

We get it in the regular grocery store in the ethnic section. If there is a latin market near you, they will have it as well. Goya is a widespread brand that makes them.

The adobo is a tomato-vinegar sauce with the chipotles in it and also adds flavor.

I know the goya brand but have not seen that item. I will look when next at the store. Oddly i do not think there is a latin market, we have quite a few carribean markets and some Asian grocers and even a middle eastern food mart...how odd no hispanic market... maybe cause our regular groceries carry so much of it a separate market is not needed.

We get it in the regular grocery store in the ethnic section. If there is a latin market near you, they will have it as well. Goya is a widespread brand that makes them.

The adobo is a tomato-vinegar sauce with the chipotles in it and also adds flavor.

My regular grocery store didn't have it but i found a small can at the Dollar Tree. It wasn't Goya brand but some other brand i had never heard of. But now i realize i don't have cumin seed only ground cumin...i'm not sure i have ever seen cumin seed but i will give the spice section a look cause maybe i didn't see it cause i wasn't looking.

Back
Top Bottom