Recipe Black Beans with Peppers, Orange and Carrot.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:12 AM
This is an interesting recipe because it can be served either hot or as a salad. I came up with the idea after making Chicken and Seville Orange Khoresh which calls for orange peel and carrots. I was interested in the method for cooking them in julienne strips. I knew that orange worked well with black beans and that it would look pretty too. Serves two as a main course.

DSCF2845.jpg

Photographed today in daylight augmented by LED

Ingredients:

1 x 400g tin of black (turtle) beans, drained (or you could soak dried ones and cook them yourself).
Rind of 1 small orange, tangerine or similar, pith removed, cut into julienne strips.
1 medium carrot, cut into julienne strips (I use a julienne cutter*).
1 red or orange (bell) pepper.
Vegetable oil.
1 tsp. Sesame oil (optional).
1 lime
Fresh mint or coriander to garnish (mint is shown in picture).

N.B. you need to have approximately equal amounts of pepper, orange and carrot.

Method:
  • Cut the deseeded peppers into strips and grill (broil) until charred. Place in a freezer bag or cling film and leave until cooled. Peel off most of the skin - its easy using your fingers. Leave a few charred bits for taste and appearance.
  • Put the orange peel juliennes in a small pan of cold water, bring to boil and drain in a strainer and refresh under cold running water, test for bitterness and if needed repeat, and set aside.
  • Put the carrot julienne strips into a pan with a few teaspoons of oil. Fry gently until they are glistening and softened.
  • If serving hot, heat the beans in a saucepan with the peppers, orange and carrot strips including the oil in which the carrots were cooked. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the pan and stir in the sesame oil (if using). Add salt, to taste.
  • If serving cold, mix the cooled peppers, orange and carrots strips (including oil) into the black beans. Squeeze juice of one lime and the sesame oil (if using) over and mix in. Add salt to taste.
  • Garnish with fresh chopped mint or coriander and slices of lime.
Serve with rice, as a hot dish or with bread, as a salad.

* http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15806/Sha...6344!&ef_id=VsYlAgAAAVc2Ox4a:20160225225022:s

DSCF2853.jpg

:bravo::bravo::bravo:That's what I found for a big round of applause:hungry:. I think my son would love this. I need to shopping. I don't have any beans at the moment.

:bravo::bravo::bravo:That's what I found for a big round of applause:hungry:. I think my son would love this. I need to shopping. I don't have any beans at the moment.
My partner just ate the above for lunch as a salad. He said it was delicious....sort of sweet and sour. So I'm quite pleased with that!

Now that is an interesting mix I must say! I have never seen a salad like that, but I bet it is tasty. I do like all things black bean, so I am pretty sure I would like this salad!

Back
Top Bottom