Recipe Black Eyed Bean and Lentil Soup with Sriracha Tadka

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I vaguely recall promising to write up some recipes with black eyed beans in them. It is still on my list of things to do but I have been source tracked recently by some family issues.

However, I spotted this recipe this morning and thought it looked great. It is from Vegan Richa's blog and I suspect in her cookbook that I own. It is just the thing for an autumnal evening.
I've put a copy of her recipe here for quick reference, but on her page there is one that is designed for printing.

www.veganricha.com/2013/05/black-eyed-pea-and-lentil-stew-with.html

Black Eyed Bean and Lentil Soup with Sriracha Tadka.

blackeyedpea-lentil-stew-007.jpg

Serves 2-4
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dry Lentils (Indian Brown Lentils/Whole Red/Sabut Masoor or use any Lentils)
1/2 cup dry black eyed peas/cow peas/raungi
2 teaspoons organic canola or coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder or other spice blends like berbere)
5-6 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 inch ginger minced
1 Tablespoon Sriracha or to taste (or soak a large dry red chili in vinegar until soft. then blend with 2 cloves of garlic)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1-2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery (Optional)
1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper (Optional)
2.5 cups water (more for thinner consistency)
3/4 teaspoon salt

Method:
Soak the black eyed beans and lentils overnight or at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse and keep ready.
In a pressure cooker or a deep pan, add oil and heat on medium. Add cumin seeds and mix for a few seconds.
Add in the ginger, garlic and onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add in all the spices and mix for a few seconds. Add in the celery and bell peppers if using, tomato and Sriracha to taste and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender and mushy.
Add the rinsed beans, lentils, salt and water.

Mix and pressure cook on medium heat for 4-5 whistles, or 20-25 minutes at high pressure after the high pressure indicator turns on (or consult the pressure cooker manual for cooking time for black eyed beans).

If making in a pan, add rinsed lentils & beans, 3 cups of water, salt, cover and cook for about an hour on medium heat, or until the lentils are very squishy.
Taste for salt and spice. Add more garam masala/Sriracha if needed. Add more water if needed (depends on the method of cooking, the beans and your preference of the consistency)

Serve hot topped with fresh cilantro or seasoning of choice and with flatbread (Rotis, Naan) or rice.

That looks very good and healthy too. it looks like the perfect dish for a Fall afternoon. I think black beans are some of the cheapest and most nutritious foods out there. These are some of the things you can enjoy and will make certain that you have the options that you need. I think that soups are a great way to get nutrition and low cost all in the same dish.

I have been desperately trying to find some black eye pea recipes, but much of what I have found online, I am hesitant to make. This recipe looks like it would be a tasty one. SatNav, once things settle down in your family life, please please please post some more! I love the recipes that you post!

I have been desperately trying to find some black eye pea recipes, but much of what I have found online, I am hesitant to make. This recipe looks like it would be a tasty one. SatNav, once things settle down in your family life, please please please post some more! I love the recipes that you post!
I'm on holiday away from my cookbooks for the next two weeks, (but still online and being less mobile than I used to be, online is pretty much where I live, so you probably won't notice a difference!). Once I am back and things quieten down again, I will try to get some more recipes up online!

I find I am not a big pea person, It fights me to consume a lot of peas and even with my soups I alway leave the peas out but this does look very appealing truthfully. I've had both of these peas when I cook rice and peas as a black pea and rice or lentils and rice. In my country not a lot of people cook their peas separately. Some do like their soup with different peas but somehow I am not one of those people.

You had me at Sriracha! One of my favorite hot sauces - it's so good! My supermarket has it in the international food area, so if your supermarket has an area like that you might be able to find a bottle there!

Well what do I know? Its easy to get, here. Heinz make it! Not sure how authentic this is but will give it a go. Anything with Scotch Bonnets listed in the ingredients gets my attention.

279773011_0_170x170.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom