Recipe Black-eyed Pea Chili with Quinoa and Corn (Vegetarian)

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:15 PM
blackeyed-pea-chili-1.jpg

Ingredients

2 large onions, chopped (I use a food processor)
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups (24 ounces) fresh black-eyed peas, or 2 1/2 cups (1 pound) dried peas, soaked overnight and drained
6 cups vegetable broth
2 1/2 tablespoons mild chili powder
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, red pepper, or hot smoked paprika (adjust to taste)
2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with juice (fire-roasted preferred)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: wedges of lime and slices of avocado, to serve

Instructions
  1. Heat a large, non-stick Dutch oven or chili pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they soften, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
  2. Add the black-eyed peas, broth, and everything up through the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the peas are tender. The time will vary depending on the age of the peas, but count on at least 75 minutes, and add more broth if it looks like it’s getting dry.
  3. When the peas are tender, check the seasoning and add more to taste (this is a good time to increase the heat by adding more chipotle powder). Add the corn and quinoa and cook until the quinoa is tender, at least 20 minutes. (If the chili seems too “soupy,” uncover the pot; otherwise, keep it covered.) Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice or slices of avocado, if desired.

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours(Longer on slow cooking)
Number of servings: 8 servings, (about 1 1/2 cup each)

Variations
This recipe should work well in both the pressure cooker and slow cooker. You may have to play with the times, but for pressure cooking, I would give it

10 minutes at high pressure during step 2 and add extra time if needed to get the peas tender. Follow step 3 as written.

For slow cooking, in step 2, cook on high for 4-5 hours, low for 8-10. Add the quinoa and corn during the last hour of cooking.

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours(Longer on slow cooking)

Number of servings: 8 servings, (about 1 1/2 cup each)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/01/black-eyed-pea-chili-with-quinoa-and-corn.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This recipe does sound delicious and I have been looking for new and exciting ways to use black eye peas. I copied this recipe so that I can try it at home. The best part is that it is a meatless chili and I am working on cutting most meat out of our diets.

That looks good, but so many ingredients. I have such a hard time keeping that much on hand at one time unless it's all frozen. I guess that's what it takes to make black eyes peas taste good. They are so flavorless in and of themselves they are nearly intolerable unless combined with intense flavored.

That looks good, but so many ingredients. I have such a hard time keeping that much on hand at one time unless it's all frozen. I guess that's what it takes to make black eyes peas taste good. They are so flavorless in and of themselves they are nearly intolerable unless combined with intense flavored.
Most of these ingredients are things I keep on hand at home, but you are so right about black eye peas being flavorless. You have to pair them with a lot of spice, and something like bacon that has a ton of flavor naturally.

Thanks for this recipe, I have some canned blackeye peas that I had no idea what to do with them, I don't care for blackeye peas but this should take care of the what to do with them. I will make a smaller pot, I don't think the other members of my family will eat this.

I don't use black eyed peas much, and when I do, it's only as a plain side dish. I was thinking recently that I should look up some recipes for them, and here one is! I already make white chili, so this won't be much of a stretch, and I know it will be popular, so I'm looking forward to making this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom