Black Friday Deals in the US

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:56 PM
For those who don't live in the US and might not know, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving (which is always on a Thursday in November). It's the day that retailers lower prices drastically. In the past it was often mayhem and there were crazy people who would get up at 3 a.m. and camp outside of stores until they opened to the hordes of people who piled in, often fighting over doorbuster deals on electronics, clothing, and more. Then they expanded to include the day after the weekend, calling it Cyber Monday, which kind of melded in with Black Friday after the onset of the pandemic. This year the deals have started now.

I was looking online at Kitchen Aid stand mixers and had mentioned to my husband that I wanted one. I was looking online at Target.com and saw a Black Friday deal for $219.99, which is $130 cheaper than Bed Bath and Beyond (before their 20% off coupon) and $80 cheaper than the Kitchen Aid website. I was getting my credit card out and my husband told me to stop, because he had planned on buying me one for Christmas. He gave me his credit card and told me to order the pasta attachment ($159) too, so I just did. I got it in stainless. With taxes (free shipping) it was $405.63, which is a really good deal. I am pretty stoked! Merry Christmas to me!
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftarget.scene7.jpg
1637615949844.png

Do other countries have days where retailers lower their prices sensationally? What kind of great deals have you gotten on kitchen gadgets, appliances, etc. by shopping sales?

Do other countries have days where retailers lower their prices sensationally? What kind of great deals have you gotten on kitchen gadgets, appliances, etc. by shopping sales?

We have it here too. I think it started last week but seems to be still running judging by TV ads. Its a relatively new phenomenon in the UK. I can't say I've noticed any particular bargains though.

We have it here too. I think it started last week but seems to be still running judging by TV ads. Its a relatively new phenomenon in the UK. I can't say I've noticed any particular bargains though.

Since you don't celebrate American Thanksgiving, UK retailers can't really tie Black Friday to a major holiday. That probably makes it difficult to turn into an annual event.

CD

Since you don't celebrate American Thanksgiving, UK retailers can't really tie Black Friday to a major holiday. That probably makes it difficult to turn into an annual event.

CD

Yeah - I don't know how the timing is chosen - maybe simply to copy the US dates?

Origin in the UK: How did Black Friday get its name? The history behind why it's the biggest sales event of the year

When did Black Friday start in the UK?

Online retail giant Amazon introduced the concept to the UK in 2010, promoting a range of discounts and deals to consumers.

In 2013, supermarket Asda, owned by American retailer Walmart, later held its own Black Friday sale - one which resulted in chaos as customers physically fought for televisions and gadgets. Following this, Black Friday has grown significantly throughout the UK, with more and more retailers choosing to hold sale events.

On another note, I don't know why Black Friday is still a thing, I thought for sure Cyber-Monday would have replaced it by now.
It's all a joke, really, since they no longer start on Friday or Monday or whatever. They should just rebrand it all as Cyberblack November.

I used to work IT support for retail, so I will never be one of the masses camping out for Black Friday deals and I am very opposed to Black Friday shopping hours extending into Thanksgiving.
I do all my shopping online anyway, so much easier. I have never set foot in a store on Black Friday.

I went out one time, by myself, on a Blck Friday, just to see what the fuss was about, and I was disappointed in both the offerings and humanity in general.

Plus, when you tell me you're going to give me something at the lowest price of the year, or the best deal ever, I don't want to see $1000 TVs marked down to $500 - $500 is still a lot of money. I want $1000 TVs marked down to $99.99, that sort of thing. And not just to the first 10 customers, either. :laugh:

It goes along with my personality, too. I strongly resent being forced or cajoled into doing something on someone else's terms. If I want a TV, I want to buy it when it's convenient for me to buy it, not when someone else dictates I should buy it.

Back
Top Bottom