Recipe Black Japonica Rice with Cabbage, Endive & (Optional) Farmer's Cheese

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:38 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Japonica rice is a black rice you can find in some specialty shops. Probably also online.

4_25-japonica-dinner.jpg

Serves: 4 hearty main dishes; perhaps 8 as a side.

Japonica Rice with Cabbage, Endive and (Optional) Farmer’s Cheese
  • 1 cup japonica rice, rinsed around three times
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup low sodium boxed or home-made veggie broth. (I didn’t have, so I used another cup of water with 2 teaspoons of miso paste)
  • 1/3rd of a medium sized red cabbage, shredded. (Green also works...)
  • 1 endive, ends chopped off, shredded.
  • 1 medium onion, minced.
  • Oil for sauteeing the onion, and optionally to add to rice as it cooks. I used olive. Butter or ghee would be good.
  • 2 teaspoons of minced garlic paste (or at least three cloves of crushed garlic). More as desired!
  • 1 tablespoon kasmiri curry paste. This is optional, but I love the punch it gives, plus I have a bunch left over from an earlier creation!
  • Salt and ground pepper to taste
  • Optional farmer’s cheese, about 1/4 a pound (Cream cheese or goat cheese, or any soft cheese, will also work. Omit if you don’t do dairy).
  • Garnish the top of the dish with fresh cilantro, or fresh watercress.
Cook the rice according to the package — mine said 1 part rice to two parts water (or liquid), plus an optional tablespoon of oil. I used 2 teaspoons of olive oil. I used my rice maker, on the setting for brown rice.

Do the rest of the prep work while the rice cooks.

Blanch the cabbage and endive in boiling water for no longer than a minute.

Drain, rinse promptly with cold water until it’s all cold.

Saute the onion in oil until translucent.

When the rice is ready — mix all the ingredients listed above together in a large stovetop pot, reserving the watercress or the cilantro to add to the dish at the table. Serve, or save for later. Makes a great main, and also would work as a side dish.

4_25-japonica-raw.jpg

Here the rice is, rinsed, but raw

Japonica rice is a black rice you can find in some specialty shops. Probably also online.

View attachment 40736

Serves: 4 hearty main dishes; perhaps 8 as a side.

Japonica Rice with Cabbage, Endive and (Optional) Farmer’s Cheese
  • 1 cup japonica rice, rinsed around three times
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup low sodium boxed or home-made veggie broth. (I didn’t have, so I used another cup of water with 2 teaspoons of miso paste)
  • 1/3rd of a medium sized red cabbage, shredded. (Green also works...)
  • 1 endive, ends chopped off, shredded.
  • 1 medium onion, minced.
  • Oil for sauteeing the onion, and optionally to add to rice as it cooks. I used olive. Butter or ghee would be good.
  • 2 teaspoons of minced garlic paste (or at least three cloves of crushed garlic). More as desired!
  • 1 tablespoon kasmiri curry paste. This is optional, but I love the punch it gives, plus I have a bunch left over from an earlier creation!
  • Salt and ground pepper to taste
  • Optional farmer’s cheese, about 1/4 a pound (Cream cheese or goat cheese, or any soft cheese, will also work. Omit if you don’t do dairy).
  • Garnish the top of the dish with fresh cilantro, or fresh watercress.
Cook the rice according to the package — mine said 1 part rice to two parts water (or liquid), plus an optional tablespoon of oil. I used 2 teaspoons of olive oil. I used my rice maker, on the setting for brown rice.

Do the rest of the prep work while the rice cooks.

Blanch the cabbage and endive in boiling water for no longer than a minute.

Drain, rinse promptly with cold water until it’s all cold.

Saute the onion in oil until translucent.

When the rice is ready — mix all the ingredients listed above together in a large stovetop pot, reserving the watercress or the cilantro to add to the dish at the table. Serve, or save for later. Makes a great main, and also would work as a side dish.

View attachment 40737
Here the rice is, rinsed, but raw

Looks tasty and I'm so intrigued now to find Japonica rice, never heard of it. It's good to know something new!
I'm used to cook Venus black rice, but I don't think it's the same.
Well done!

Back
Top Bottom