Recipe Black Sesame Seed and Peppercorn Encrusted Seared Tuna Steaks

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:50 AM
Black Sesame Seed and Peppercorn Encrusted Seared Tuna Steaks

This was last night's dinner for two! It was quite delicious, and oh so simple to prepare. I used black sesame seeds but a mix of white and black seeds would be fine, or whatever you prefer. The tuna steaks were marinated in a soy-ginger sauce before I coated them, and then seared to medium-rare perfection (others might prefer them rare). I served the tuna steaks with a side of lightly sauteed spinach and sticky Basmati rice (any short grain rice will do), as well as some wasabi and soy sauce for dipping. A sriracha mayonnaise could be a nice alternative for those who don't like wasabi...and a seaweed salad would be a nice alternative in place of the spinach.

The tuna steaks were a large portion and I originally intended to set aside some leftovers for our lunch, but hubby and I found them so tasty that we sat at the dining counter for an hour talking, eating, and drinking, and before we knew it we had eaten our entire meals!

Ingredients:
2 tuna steaks, 12 oz each, about 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup black sesame seeds (or a mix of white and black)
1 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
wasabi
soy sauce for dipping

In a shallow dish, mix soy sauce and ground ginger. Marinate tuna steaks for about an hour on each side (covered and kept in the refrigerator).

Place sesame seeds and ground pepper in a dish and mix together. Completely encrust each tuna steak on both sides, pressing down into the seeds to make sure they adhere properly.

Use a cast iron skillet that is large enough for the tuna steaks to cook without touching. Add canola oil and heat on a high temperature until the oil is smoking. Sear for one minute on each side for medium rare, slightly less for rare.

For the sauteed spinach, I used 2 cups of baby organic spinach. I added the leftover marinade and sesame seeds in a sautee pan with the spinach and a touch of garlic powder, then lightly cooked until done. It was quite tasty.

For the sticky rice, I used 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, a teaspoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar. It reminded me of sush rice, which was my goal all along.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom