Blackberries

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:40 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Is it me or do the blackberries (in the UK that is) seem to be rather tart this year?

I have just made up a batch of blackberry & apple fruit leathers and usually I don't add any sugar to them at all, but they are exceptionally tart and I think the next batch is going to need some sweetness adding to them!

:eek:

My blackberries aren't ready yet, when they are I'm going to make jam. I'll try a few, just to see if they tart or not when there ripe.

The last batch I picked was not so sweet but early today I filled a tub with much sweeter ones. I think it depends on when you pick them (it's still early in the season) and which bushes you pick from (there are more than 50 varieties of wild blackberry).The next ones you pick might be much sweeter.

I am not in the UK, but I know for a fact that if you don't pick them at the right time they won't be very sweet. Plus, make sure you know what kind they are (in case you're picking wild) because certain berries tend to be more sweet than others. By the way the fruit leathers sound amazing. I saw a recipe for them and was always too chicken to try them.

Back
Top Bottom