Legendary Member
Local time
6:02 PM
Ingredients
750 gms fresh blackberries
250 gms Bramley apples*
100 mls water
900 gms sugar
* Bramley apples, for those who do not live in the UK, are cooking apples. They´re very tart, and perfect to offset sweetness.

Method
  • Peel,slice and decore the apples.
  • Put the apples, blackberries, water and sugar in a large pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently until the sugar turns to liquid.
  • Cook on medium heat for about 20-25 minutes, until the fruit is soft.
  • Pour the contents of the pan into a sieve (placed over a bowl) and push through, pressing down on the solids. This is only to remove most of the seeds.
  • Reheat the jelly a short while and pour into sterilised jars. Seal and leave for two or three weeks before consuming.

Lovely! And the hedgerows around here are full of blackberries. The strange weather means they have come much earlier than usual. I think its usually September. I've been picking them in the car park at the end of my road.

I like that you decided combine the blackberries with apples. While I don't think I can get bramley apples here, Granny Smith apples sound like a solid substitute.

And, I didn't realize that you can make jelly without adding gelatin. But, I have read that it works with fruits that are high in pectin. And, here both of your main ingredients are, at the top of group I:

PectinAcid.png

And, I didn't realize that you can make jelly without adding gelatin.
Never make a fruit conserve/jam/jelly with gelatin. It´s a whole different animal. If you are using fruit that has low pectin content, then use powdered pectin OR a whole bunch of apples, including pips.
I have successfully made strawberry jam, guava jam, plum jam, peach jam, and fig jam without pectin: just extra sugar.

Back
Top Bottom