Blends of spices packed together

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
3:16 PM
Have you seen those little kits with just a bit of each spice you need to cook a particular dish? I think the idea is pretty cool, but the packets seem a bit pricey to me.

I do use other blends, such as one that's just called Italian seasoning that has oregano, parsley, etc., and I use one called Nature's Seasoning that has a nice mixture of salts (celery salt, onion salt, etc.) and pepper.

Have you tried any of these? Do you like them?

Have you seen those little kits with just a bit of each spice you need to cook a particular dish? I think the idea is pretty cool, but the packets seem a bit pricey to me.

I do use other blends, such as one that's just called Italian seasoning that has oregano, parsley, etc., and I use one called Nature's Seasoning that has a nice mixture of salts (celery salt, onion salt, etc.) and pepper.

Have you tried any of these? Do you like them?

Hi there. I don't know I have seen any combined spices where I live but truth is I have not been doing a lot of the grocery shopping lately. What I know I have seen a lot of over the years, is fresh herbs in a single small bag but with different types of herbs. When I do pop in the supermarket I pick up a pack from time to time. For me it cuts down on lots of things spoiling.

In your case the mix spices seem to make a lot of sense.

They are pricey! I would like to have enough spices to combine for my own blends, but that can be pricey as well, and you often end up with more than you can use before the spices start getting old. I am hoping to start growing more spice plants so that I can have access to things easily as I need them, especially things like saffron.

I have seen them in the grocery store, but have not used them yet because they are very expensive. I would like to think that I could make my own spice and herb blends for much cheaper than the packaged kind. Like ChanellG said though, you have to be able to use them before they start to get old.

Do you mean the little plastic cubes filled with spice mix? I have seen those and they are a little pricey. I have seen paper packets too that are a little more reasonable, but I don't use those either. I think in general I am ok with mixing my own spices, especially for European flavors.

But what I do buy is Shan Indian Spice mixes. I love, love, love them. I like spicy and indian flavors but am not knowledgeable enough to mix my own. So these little boxes come in all varieties for all kinds of indian dishes, and there is a little recipe on the back of how to make the dish.

I had assumed that the op meant the packets where you have tsp of ground cumin, 2tsp of ground coriander in another little plastic pocket, 1tbsp of paprika, plus ½tsp tumeric etc where it is already measured out along with a recipe on the back which tells you how to make the 'curry' or'Indian' or 'Thai,' dish you are 'making'. I'll try to find a photo...

Edit: these things!

photo-2-786x1024.jpg 005.JPG

I actually assumed the original post referred to those cute kits you see in gourmet shops and mail order/online catalogs. They usually contain about five spices in little tins attractively packaged to make you want to buy them. Here's an image of a widely assorted one I found on Pinterest that someone was selling on ebay:

acdef7a405a56526782f15c0cbfe5d86.jpg

I had the same idea as SatNav with those little blister pack cube spice packages you can buy for one meal. They are way to expensive and not worth the effort. I much rather go online and find a good recipe that I can make from scratch.

I actually assumed the original post referred to those cute kits you see in gourmet shops and mail order/online catalogs. They usually contain about five spices in little tins attractively packaged to make you want to buy them. Here's an image of a widely assorted one I found on Pinterest that someone was selling on ebay:

acdef7a405a56526782f15c0cbfe5d86.jpg
I think they may well be better value for money. The ones I linked to sell for something like £1.99 - £2.75 a packet I think! :eek: people just like to be guided through what they consider to be a mine field when it comes to spices yet they are so easy to deal with in reality!

I think they may well be better value for money. The ones I linked to sell for something like £1.99 - £2.75 a packet I think! :eek: people just like to be guided through what they consider to be a mine field when it comes to spices yet they are so easy to deal with in reality!

I'm hoping to start growing some at home. I saw an article recently about growing your own peppercorns. I don't cook with black pepper, but everyone else I know does so I am thinking of trying the plant. I hope to get saffron crocus soon and I am still considering vanilla orchid and a coffee bean plant. I already grow a number of herbs, but turmeric and ginger are on my list and I'll be adding more as the garden becomes more organized.

The packets you posted above are a good size.

ChanellG- if you can successfully grow saffron, you may be on your way to making yourself a millionaire, that stuff is worth its weight in gold. :laugh: I think it might actually go for more than gold these days. I just don't get why it so expensive to buy in the store.

I do agree that the spice packs may seem so appealing to some people because they are clueless as how to use spices. My theme in the kitchen has always been to experiment and have fun with them. If I am unsure how a spice will taste in a dish, I go online and do some research.

I never bother with these little kits and just buy separate herbs and spices in jars. It's much cheaper in the long run plus you get to adjust the ingredients to your own personal taste.

Back
Top Bottom