Blind bake double crust or not

I don't think so. When I make chicken pot pie, I don't blind bake my crust. I do let the filling cool a bit after I've cooked it up on the stovetop, though, but they may not be necessary.

It should be fine providing you follow these steps (which are included in the recipe).
  1. Chilling the pastry
  2. Chilling the filling (extremely important as a warm/hot filling will soak into the bottom crust and make it soggy).
  3. Pre-heating a baking tray in the oven for the pie to stand on (this helps the bottom crisp).
P.S. The recipe is from the Hairy Bikers and I saw the show recently where they made this pie.

Here they are ... I found, what I thought would be nice tins for individual pies, when made though they were enough for two, anyway, I greased them with a smear of butter and in the words of George Formby they "turned out nice again". The 'bottoms' looked fairly brown but were a bit soggy, I could have, maybe, removed them from the tins and popped them back into the oven for a few minutes.

I think those look very nice. I have a couple of similar metal tins.

Here they are ... I found, what I thought would be nice tins for individual pies, when made though they were enough for two, anyway, I greased them with a smear of butter and in the words of George Formby they "turned out nice again". The 'bottoms' looked fairly brown but were a bit soggy, I could have, maybe, removed them from the tins and popped them back into the oven for a few minutes.
View attachment 36440
View attachment 36441

View attachment 36442

View attachment 36443

They look great!

Back
Top Bottom