Recipe Bloody Caesar

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
7:40 AM
This is a traditional Canadian drink with it's origins from Alberta where a chef wanted to accompany Linguini Vongole with it's own drink and kept with the Italian theme and called it a Caesar.

Ingredients:

Celery salt for the rim.
1.5 - 2.0 oz vodka
4oz clam-tomato juice
2-3 dashes of any hot sauce, tobasco is traditional
4-5 dashes of worchestershire sauce.
0.5 oz fresh lime or lemon juice
1 tsp of prepared or fresh horseradish
2 twists of fresh black pepper
3 finger pinch of Maldon sea salt or similar
stalk of celery, traditional, but can use olives, or hang a shrimp.

Method:

A taller glass is traditional. Run fresh lime or lemon around rim to get wet and dip in a plate of celery salt. Half fill with ice
then add the remaining ingredients. Stir and garnish. Cheers!

Clamato juice is used and commercially Motts make one that is the most popular but I'm not sure how available that is around the world. I make my own by using a commercial tomato juice and clam juice. I use a 3:1 ratio of tomato to clam juice but can easily be fine tuned to your own tastes. Lately a brand called Walters has become available which I've used and is much better than Motts but still doesn't hold a candle to making it yourself.

Also garnishes can be anything you desire. Pickled green beans of other veg is popular, snow crab, shrimp can be fun and festive, it's up to you.
20200609_135044.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how common Clamato juice is outside of the US, Mexico and Canada? I can get it in Texas, but I don't know anyone who drinks it.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 4.50.08 AM.jpg

CD

Of course making fresh clamato juice would be ideal from fresh tomatoes and steaming clams using it's liquor. I've made my own tomato juice and the season is upon us here regionally, so that is possible. I've never used fresh clam juice and find the bottled juice acceptable for this drink. A good commercial tomato juice should work but keep in mind that salt will need to be adjusted in the final drink so you may not need as much added salt.

... found some (at a price) but I'm alarmed by the ingredients - MSG and corn syrup....

View attachment 67637

View attachment 67638

Something I learned as I adapted to my low sodium diet requirements is that you can get more flavor with less sodium with MSG. The MSG has a stronger flavor than salt, so you can use less of it.

As for HF Corn Syrup, it is no worse for you than any other sugar, but it does have a higher carbon footprint in its production than some other sugars. I avoid it, especially since sugar cane is a major crop in Southeast Texas, but sometimes I can't.

CD

Something I learned as I adapted to my low sodium diet requirements is that you can get more flavor with less sodium with MSG. The MSG has a stronger flavor than salt, so you can use less of it.

As for HF Corn Syrup, it is no worse for you than any other sugar, but it does have a higher carbon footprint in its production than some other sugars. I avoid it, especially since sugar cane is a major crop in Southeast Texas, but sometimes I can't.

CD
Agree 100%. MSG has been labeled evil but with no actual evidence for decades. Also HFCS is just sugar from corn which has made it more commercially profitable, portable, easier to store etc and is the default sugar in the USA for most processed foods.

Agree 100%. MSG has been labeled evil but with no actual evidence for decades. Also HFCS is just sugar from corn which has made it more commercially profitable, portable, easier to store etc and is the default sugar in the USA for most processed foods.

I agree, but unfortunately I can taste MSG in a product and I really dislike it. I remember the first time I tasted Sriracha sauce. I bought a bottle because I love hot sauces and it had been mentioned on the forum. I tasted it and thought 'MSG". Sure enough, there it was in the ingredients. I can understand that for those on a low salt diet like caseydog it could be useful though.

Re the corn syrup. I don't think I'd want the tomato/clam juice to be sweetened. I think I will attempt to make it myself. I am now wondering if Thai fish sauce could sub for clam juice. Would that be wrong?

I agree, but unfortunately I can taste MSG in a product and I really dislike it. I remember the first time I tasted Sriracha sauce. I bought a bottle because I love hot sauces and it had been mentioned on the forum. I tasted it and thought 'MSG". Sure enough, there it was in the ingredients. I can understand that for those on a low salt diet like caseydog it could be useful though.

Re the corn syrup. I don't think I'd want the tomato/clam juice to be sweetened. I think I will attempt to make it myself. I am now wondering if Thai fish sauce could sub for clam juice. Would that be wrong?
I've never done that, I mean, used fish sauce in this recipe and has never crossed my mind because it has a totally different effect/taste that I just assumed wouldn't work, but you never know, it might. Personally I won't be using fish sauce and I love fish sauce and use it all the time but this is about clam juice and I'll be sticking with that. Can't you get bottled clam juice?

I've never done that, I mean, used fish sauce in this recipe and has never crossed my mind because it has a totally different effect/taste that I just assumed wouldn't work, but you never know, it might. Personally I won't be using fish sauce and I love fish sauce and use it all the time but this is about clam juice and I'll be sticking with that. Can't you get bottled clam juice?

OK. Point taken. Clam juice I imagine would be much sweeter and milder. Maybe I can get bottled clam juice. I will go off to look....

Maybe oyster sauce? My wife uses that a lot as do I but to a limited extent.

I think it is the sauce part that may be a problem. I have fish sauce and oyster sauce in my kitchen, but they are sauces. Clam juice is the viscosity of water.

If you can find clam juice and tomato juice, you could make a substitute for Clamato, minus the HFCS and MSG.

CD

Back
Top Bottom