BLT With A Twist

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
5:49 PM
I finally had some bacon in the house the other day, and was craving a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwich, in case anyone isn't familiar with them), but didn't have any tomatoes. I wasn't about to drive to the store just for a tomato or two, so I decided to use what I had on hand, which was a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies.

I used romaine lettuce, and the leaves were firm, which made it easier to contain the tomatoes and chilies, so they didn't fall all over the place. It was so delicious I made another one yesterday. I think I've found a new favorite sandwich, and seeing as grilled cheese (or grilled cheese with sliced tomato) is my other favorite, I might try adding some of the tomatoes and chilies to that next time, as well.

Sounds like winner! I'm going to have to try that sometime. I always have cans of Rotel in the pantry, I never considered adding them to a sandwich. I bet they'd be good in an omelet too.

Sounds like winner! I'm going to have to try that sometime. I always have cans of Rotel in the pantry, I never considered adding them to a sandwich. I bet they'd be good in an omelet too.

Oh YES! I use Ro*Tel or the generic variety all the time. I add it to salads, scrambled eggs, casseroles, frittatas, and now, to BLTs! Sometimes I even eat it all by itself.

I love BLTs but avocados always seem to add a little something extra which is incredible. Or a fried egg also is super tasty! I normally see what I have in my fridge when I am craving a sandwich and just omit what I don't have because the majority of the time I don't feel the need to go to the supermarket if I don't have a tomato for example! Sandwiches are meant to be quick and simple so the hassle of having to go to the supermarket just ti pick up a few tomatos for example would make me want to make something else that I do have in my fridge!

To be honest when I first read this I was thinking "ewwww that doesn't sound very good." Yet I couldn't get it out of my mind. I know I had everything I needed to try it so out of curious I decided to give it a try. I figured if I didn't like it I would just toss it out to the seagulls. After all they eat anything. Well I must say I was very impressed. I loved it and needless to say the seagulls never even got a taste. I think this may be my new favorite sandwich. Thank you for sharing such an awesome idea. I am hooked.

When I saw the abbreviation I was a little confuse to be honest. Your twist sounds good only thing is I would not have had the diced tomatoes in a can on hand. I don't find I use a lot of canned tomatoes. I guess I don't do much can anything. I would have wanted some cheese in there but I've been staying away from bacon for some time now. I think I need to at least get some bacon bits. They come in handy for so many things. I LOVE twists and I am glad yours worked out.

I have to agree that avocado can add something special to a sandwich. I also love to add some chicken or turkey deli meat to the BLT, and turn it into a club sandwich. This pumps up the protein in the sandwich and adds a little more bite.

BLT's are definitely one of my favorite sandwiches, however, I don't always have lettuce on hand so over the years I have experimented with different things.

1. BTA - Bacon, Tomato and Avacado (Yum my go to most times)
2. BTS - Bacon, Tomato and Salsa (don't knock til you try it)
3. BTC - Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Cheese (I have made this with Tostitos Cheese Tip and Real Cheddar Cheese both delicious)

@Diane Lane I will have to try the canned tomatoes next time :)

Those sound like some interesting variations on the BLT. However, it is hard to improve on perfection! I do know several people that add an egg to their BLT's. I made a club sandwich using bacon and leftover Thanksgiving turkey and cheese back at the end of Nov. Can I just say??? Awesome! I just love a traditonal BLT so much...it doesn't really need improvement in my opinion...

The only thing I like to add to a BLT is wheat bread with the lettuce and tomatoes. The BLT is one of the few sandwiches I eat. I wish I had some bacon in the house, real bacon not turkey bacon.

I love BLTs but avocados always seem to add a little something extra which is incredible. Or a fried egg also is super tasty! I normally see what I have in my fridge when I am craving a sandwich and just omit what I don't have because the majority of the time I don't feel the need to go to the supermarket if I don't have a tomato for example! Sandwiches are meant to be quick and simple so the hassle of having to go to the supermarket just ti pick up a few tomatos for example would make me want to make something else that I do have in my fridge!

I've always loved avocados, since I first tasted them. I enjoy guacamole, but since I love avocados in their natural state, I tend to use them that way. I will sometimes slice up an avocado for a snack with just some salt, or other times, I'll drizzle it with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

The first time I ate a chicken torta, it had grilled or barbecued chicken and sliced avocados, and I was in heaven. Here's a link to a thread I started about Tortas de pollo: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/tortas-de-pollo-chicken-sandwiches.6575/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom