BLTs - what are your methods?

My wife says I'm weird because I don't toast my bread when I make BLTs.
That's not weird. I sometimes toast my bread and sometimes I don't. It depends on how much bacon is on the sandwich and how soft or what kind of bread. If I have pillowy soft white bread I might lightly toast it, and if I use a lot of bacon or a multigrain bread that isn't soft, I might not toast it at all. My husband is very rigid with his BLT's (really BLTCH's). He always has bacon, lettuce, tomato, and American cheese on toasted bread or a sandwich bun. I like BLTA's Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado on mine, if I have avocado on hand. I often sub out the avocado for the mayo if the avo is soft enough. If I don't toast my bread I go lighter on the mayo. Toasted bread requires a thick slather of mayo for me. If I am using a sandwich bun, I need 6 pieces of bacon too, LOL!

Basically anything you do or eat that is different from your wife makes you weird? Just guessing.

Basically anything you do or eat that is different from your wife makes you weird? Just guessing.
She's just never seen one not toasted. Any diner she's ever been to, if you order a BLT, it's always toasted (true for me, as well).

I never had a "proper" BLT until I left home at 19. At home, a bacon sandwich meant one thing: one piece of white supermarket bread, about two tablespoons of mayonnaise, and whatever amount of bacon you wanted. Load up the bread, fold it over, and that was that. It was never part of a meal, but just as a snack between meals.

To this day, I still get caught up ordering BLTs out - I always forgot to ask them not to toast the bread. I guess I'm lucky in that "toast" in a diner these days amounts to "warmed bread," so I can deal with it.

She's just never seen one not toasted. Any diner she's ever been to, if you order a BLT, it's always toasted (true for me, as well).

I never had a "proper" BLT until I left home at 19. At home, a bacon sandwich meant one thing: one piece of white supermarket bread, about two tablespoons of mayonnaise, and whatever amount of bacon you wanted. Load up the bread, fold it over, and that was that. It was never part of a meal, but just as a snack between meals.

To this day, I still get caught up ordering BLTs out - I always forgot to ask them not to toast the bread. I guess I'm lucky in that "toast" in a diner these days amounts to "warmed bread," so I can deal with it.
ONE piece of bread, TWO tbsp of mayo, and ALL the bacon you want, fold it over? As a SNACK???? OMG heart attack waiting to happen...I imagine it tastes great. But, I would like the tomato acid to cut the fat. I would get ill eating all that grease without something to balance it.

In Kuala Lumpur in the late 90s we had a Canadian join us for a few beers one evening. He was Chinese by birth. Deciding he wished to have a snack he ordered a "bee ell tee but hold the mayo". The Indian waiter thought he was speaking Chinese!

If I make the sarnie with a burger bun I generally lightly toast it. With bread I do not but I don't know why not.

Last edited:
ONE piece of bread, TWO tbsp of mayo, and ALL the bacon you want, fold it over? As a SNACK???? OMG heart attack waiting to happen...I imagine it tastes great. But, I would like the tomato acid to cut the fat. I would get ill eating all that grease without something to balance it.

I make fold-over bacon sandwiches from time-to-time. Toast, mayo or Miracle Whip, fold the toast over the bacon, and you have a good snack.

CD

In Kuala Lumpur in the late 90s we had a Canadian join us for a few beers one evening. He was Chinese by birth. Deciding he wished to have a snack he ordered a "bee ell tee but hold the mayo". The Indian waiter thought he was speaking Chinese!

If I make the sarnie with a burger bun I generally lightly toast it. With bread I do not but I don't know why not.

That looks good, but very different. Here, a classic BLT uses "streaky" bacon, and sliced tomato.

CD

That looks good, but very different. Here, a classic BLT uses "streaky" bacon, and sliced tomato.

We can buy streaky bacon here but the good stuff is rare. Those are either tinned chopped plum tomatoes or "liquidised" skinned fresh tomatoes, I cannot recall which.

About as near to "streaky" as we can get. This is wrapped around a pork loin ready for grilling with honey.

Inspired by this thread I am having a blt tonight. A baguette smeared with some mayo, topped with pan fried bacon & tomatoes and some lettuce is how I do it.

I've had a BLT on baguette, and it is good. Do you use "English" bacon or American, which is "streaky" from the belly, cured and smoked?

I like both cuts of bacon, but they are different.

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom