Blue Cheese Question

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
7:10 PM
I really like the flavor of blue cheese, but find that it can be very overpowering and strong in flavor (and odor peeeeyoooooo :hyper:). Is there any other cheese that gives the same flavoring as blue cheese, but is not as strong?

I honestly don't know much about cheeses and I am not a big fan either! I actually hardly ever have any cheese.
I remember a friend substituting blue cheese with feta cheese though. I am not sure of the significance so I can't ago much for the substitution but yea that's all I know. Perhaps you could try it and see how it pans out.

All the best!

I also love blue cheese, but I can't have any as I am allergic to penicillin and the blue mould on the cheese is similar enough to make me feel ill.
Shame really as I would love to find an alternative that I could eat and enjoy the taste and flavour again.

It varies from blue cheese to blue cheese. One I used to love when I could eat dairy was a Gorgonzola that was layered with mascapone if I recall correctly. It seemed to work really well and took some off the acidity and blueness leaving just the right level for me.

Some of the goats blue also seemed milder as well.

Here you go...

41e369421f4b9c44d3e35273039acb20-3.jpg

The blue cheese has a great flavor, it is just way too strong for me, especially when you bite into the blue mold part,,wooooooo tangy! I am going to see if I can find some of this gorgonzola mascarpone to see if it is milder and more tolerable to my palette. It is a shame that my tongue has to be so sensative because the flavor of blue cheese in dressing and stuff is really good.

I would suggest feta. It also has a potent smell & taste but a tad diminished in comparison to blue cheese.

Can you define this for me? Is it a physical burning sensation? And do you get holes and or blisters on the tongue? If you do, send me a pm. I may know what it is and there are ways of managing it to the point where you won't notice it anymore.

No physical damage to my tounge ohter than the fact that I do get sores on it occassionaly. I think that I just do not tolerate bitter things like some people do. I took a bite of blue cheese not too long ago and it sent like "shock waves" (for lack of a better term) through my mouth and it was too much for my taste buds to handle.

No physical damage to my tounge ohter than the fact that I do get sores on it occassionaly. I think that I just do not tolerate bitter things like some people do. I took a bite of blue cheese not too long ago and it sent like "shock waves" (for lack of a better term) through my mouth and it was too much for my taste buds to handle.
google geographic tongue. if your tongue looks like that occasionally then you have this condition. Most adults suffer from it at some point in their life, but it usually passes quickly. I have it permanently. If you also google zinc taste test and get yourself a bottle of the liquid taste test stuff, it would not surprise me in the slightest if you were to find you were zinc deficient. People with this condition usually are and taking a higher dose of liquid zinc daily for about a month will deal with the problem and you will be able to eat normally - I usually use the BioCare range of liquid zinc added to some water or juice. I have to take zinc supplements continually to keep the condition in check (this was recommended to me by Guy's Dental Hospital in London many years ago and has been the only treatment my tongue as responded to) but it does work and is well worth it. For me the condition is similar to biting your tongue and then drinking lemon juice - it hurts badly!

SatNav- my tongue does sometimes look like that. This is probably the issue I am having with tangy foods. Is there a way to get rid of it or do I have to wait it out and wait for my tongue to heal? Thanks for the information.

SatNav- my tongue does sometimes look like that. This is probably the issue I am having with tangy foods. Is there a way to get rid of it or do I have to wait it out and wait for my tongue to heal? Thanks for the information.
High zinc for a while will clear it, but it may take a week to see any improvement and a month to clear completely. At least double the RDA of zinc, preferably in liquid form and make sure you don't have any oral yeast infections, they make it worse.

High zinc for a while will clear it, but it may take a week to see any improvement and a month to clear completely. At least double the RDA of zinc, preferably in liquid form and make sure you don't have any oral yeast infections, they make it worse.

Thanks, you are so smart about food and medical stuff. I always love reading replies from you. You are informative and very funny in your responses. I will give the zinc a try and keep you updated.

Back
Top Bottom