Board request

Alunny

Veteran
Local time
10:50 AM
Website
www.jades-world.com
Hi, I'm finding it really hard to know where to post some recipes. I have a recipe for pancakes using uncommon ingredients, for example...nowhere to put it?

Also I don't understand some of the boards like "Eggs, Cheese and Dairy"...is that for making cheese/milk stuff or is it for dishes that contain it? Would I put devilled eggs in that board or the "Appetizers and Hors D'oeuvres" board? Would I put Omelette here? Would I put Quiche here or in the "Pies, Pastries, Sweets and Desserts"

Also what goes in the Fruit and Nuts area? Is it just for things like stewed apples or can I put more advanced fruit dishes like Saltana and rice pudding, or Apple crumble, etc here?

I guess I am a little bit lost in the sorting/naming :).

Can we have an "other recipes" board please? :)

I think the egg cheese and dairy thread is for recipes for specific meals like eggs benedict. That would be in the eggs cheese and dairy thread, or omlette. Again it is a specific meal made mainly of egg. Cheese souffle would also be in there as it combines eggs and cheese, so again it would be in the eggs cheese and dairy thread.

pancakes could probably be put into the general cooking discussion thread.

Hi, I'm finding it really hard to know where to post some recipes. I have a recipe for pancakes using uncommon ingredients, for example...nowhere to put it?

Also I don't understand some of the boards like "Eggs, Cheese and Dairy"...is that for making cheese/milk stuff or is it for dishes that contain it? Would I put devilled eggs in that board or the "Appetizers and Hors D'oeuvres" board? Would I put Omelette here? Would I put Quiche here or in the "Pies, Pastries, Sweets and Desserts"

Also what goes in the Fruit and Nuts area? Is it just for things like stewed apples or can I put more advanced fruit dishes like Saltana and rice pudding, or Apple crumble, etc here?

I guess I am a little bit lost in the sorting/naming :).

Can we have an "other recipes" board please? :)

Quiches would go under pies, pastries, sweets and desserts, as would a savoury or sweet tart.
Eggs, cheese and dairy is for recipes that are predominately based on or around eggs/cheese & diary or cheese/butter/yoghurt making etc.
Fruit and nuts - well some of us activate nuts before using them (soak them in water overnight) and I use nuts as an alternative to dairy based products, so replacing cream, cheese, yoghurt with them. It works surprisingly well, but this can also come under special diets.
I would probably stick with devilled eggs in the Eggs category rather than Appetizers and Hors D'oeuvres, as I would omelettes. Omelettes are not normally starters (at least not that I know of or have encounter in my travels).

If your pancakes were say gluten free then they would be best under the gluten free area... (I have posted a type of pancake there called La Socca which is really nice) otherwise I would probably have them under the Eggs, Cheese and Dairy thread.

If at all unsure just post under general cooking and use the report button and fill in the details - something along the lines of "is this the best place for..." and I can always have a look and move the thread if needed - it is something I do quite a bit.

Similarly if you see something that you think should be in another category, just use the report button and I will look at it and move it if I agree.

Well by @welsh dragon logic Quiche, being thought of as more of an egg dish than a pastry would go in eggs? When I make quiche the pastry is very thin and not really thought of. The eggs, cheese, bacon, and spring onions are what make it up :D.

As for devilled eggs I would be making them as little appetizers or party type food so it would be more appropriate.

I think it's all too broard, and everyone has a different answer for everything. Because I'm very logical minded I am getting mega confused. Especially when it seems to be meal plan type things (appetizers, I would expect breaky, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, snacks, dinner, and desert, instead of what I got and then maybe tags that we can add?). I guess I'll use the report button :).

@Alunny We are trying to avoid an 'others' board at the moment because I suspect most people would just post in there rather than actually think about what is the main ingredient in the recipe. As the site grows, we will tweak/delete/add to the forums as it becomes apparent to the sites needs, but I agree, it can be very confusing at first. Don't worry about it and just use the report button as needed. SNSSO

Well by @welsh dragon logic Quiche, being thought of as more of an egg dish than a pastry would go in eggs? When I make quiche the pastry is very thin and not really thought of. The eggs, cheese, bacon, and spring onions are what make it up :D.

As for devilled eggs I would be making them as little appetizers or party type food so it would be more appropriate.

I think it's all too broard, and everyone has a different answer for everything. Because I'm very logical minded I am getting mega confused. Especially when it seems to be meal plan type things (appetizers, I would expect breaky, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, snacks, dinner, and desert, instead of what I got and then maybe tags that we can add?). I guess I'll use the report button :).
And there was me thinking it was only me having trouble working out where things went.
I'M NOT ALONE!​

For further confusion see Christmas Traditions & dinner/lunch explanation by @SatNavSaysStraightOn

Last edited:
And there was me thinking it was only me having trouble working out where things went.
I'M NOT ALONE!​

For further confusion see Christmas Traditions & dinner/lunch explanation by @SatNavSaysStraightOn
I was hoping that that one would be non food traditions! (if it is the one in the cafe). The tradition being walking over to my grandparents home in the afternoon on Christmas day...

I was hoping that that one would be non food traditions! (if it is the one in the cafe). The tradition being walking over to my grandparents home in the afternoon on Christmas day...
It is.
Just shows even the simple things aren't as simple as we first think though!

It is.
Just shows even the simple things aren't as simple as we first think though!
Yep... Think some of the problem is that this is a food forum and the concept of the cafe is not being fully understood... It needs filling with some non-food, non-cooking relayed threads :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom