Recipe Boeuf Bourguignon (cooked in wine)

PreppedFRESH

Local time
1:03 AM
Beef Bourguignon is a classic french recipe and my ultimate comfort food, especially during the cooler winter months. It's cooked in red wine, which adds depth and complexity to the sauce.

Ingredients (serves 4-6)
150g bacon, solid chunk cut into lardons
500g braising steak, cut into cubes
2 tbsp flour
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, peeled and diced
3 cups red wine
2-3 cups beef stock (enough to cover)
1 tbsp tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, mashed
2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
200g mushroom, quartered
50g unsalted butter
olive oil
salt & fresh ground pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan, sauté the lardons for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned and set aside on a plate.
2. Coat the pieces of beef in flour, season with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides in the bacon fat and olive oil. Set aside. Again, in the same oil/fat, sauté the onion, garlic, and the carrot until softened. Set aside.
3. Deglaze the frying pan with the wine, pour it into an oven-proof casserole along with the meat, lardons, shallots, garlic, carrots and add enough stock to almost cover the mix. Stir in the tomato paste and add the parsley, sage, and half the thyme.
4. Bring to a simmer on the top of the stove, cover, and place in the oven. Reduce heat to 120 degrees and simmer slowly for 3 hours to 4 hours, or until a fork pierces the meat easily.
5. When the stew meat is tender, add the mushrooms. If the sauce is too thin, stir in a spoonful of flour and boil it down to reduce to the right thickness. Taste for seasoning before serving.

I love braising. I always braise with wine. My range is electric so I braise in the oven for a more consistent cooking temperature. If I had a gas cook top I would braise on the cook top.
LOVE Boeuf Bourguignon.
🙏🙌 I have gas, or rather should say "i have a gas cooktop" to avoid confusion 🤣. I love doing both oven and cooktop - depending on if it needs reducing and if I am home!

I am jealous of anyone who has a gas cook top
My Niece and her sweet husband just moved into their new home. Nephew is an amazing, self taught chef. For several years he worked as a line chef at Brennan's in Houston. The Executive Chef featured Jacob's creations as off menu specials. Jacob also competed in, and won numerous cooking competitions.
When they planned their house Jacob told my Niece that she could do whatever she wanted with the rest of the house as long as the kitchen was his to design. Their home was designed around the kitchen. 😁 My dream.

I am jealous of anyone who has a gas cook top
My Niece and her sweet husband just moved into their new home. Nephew is an amazing, self taught chef. For several years he worked as a line chef at Brennan's in Houston. The Executive Chef featured Jacob's creations as off menu specials. Jacob also competed in, and won numerous cooking competitions.
When they planned their house Jacob told my Niece that she could do whatever she wanted with the rest of the house as long as the kitchen was his to design. Their home was designed around the kitchen. 😁 My dream.
I would be curious to see what he came up with! That's exactly what I told my husband when we renovated our house a few years ago ;0)

Same sort of thing here, I bought the house against my wife's wishes because I could see potential. I remodelled to suit me as I do the cooking here. I started from the kitchen outwards. I'm really happy with my joint. I would like a gas hob to cook with but prolly won't happen.??

Russ

I have not seen their new home . They just moved in a couple of weeks ago. They live in a suburb of Houston . They lost power and had a broken water line.
My beautiful Niece was in tears . They will recover .
I hope to visit them late spring. I do know that Jacob has a 46" or 48" professional grade, dual fuel, double oven range. THAT is a dream.

Same sort of thing here, I bought the house against my wife's wishes because I could see potential. I remodelled to suit me as I do the cooking here. I started from the kitchen outwards. I'm really happy with my joint. I would like a gas hob to cook with but prolly won't happen.??

Russ
If you have a garden, maybe you could upgrade the BBQ to put in a small outdoor kitchen bench with a gaz point?!

If you have a garden, maybe you could upgrade the BBQ to put in a small outdoor kitchen bench with a gaz point?!
First thing I did was put French doors on our back wall to open up to the back yard. I have a gas BBQ out there, a 6 burner with rotisserie as well. I also have a charcoal pit, and access to a big pit for doing a whole pig on a spit. I have every base covered I think. Just no gas inside.
I really am spoilt for choice. It's a kiwi thing.

Russ

First thing I did was put French doors on our back wall to open up to the back yard. I have a gas BBQ out there, a 6 burner with rotisserie as well. I also have a charcoal pit, and access to a big pit for doing a whole pig on a spit. I have every base covered I think. Just no gas inside.
I really am spoilt for choice. It's a kiwi thing.

Russ
oh wow, now I am well and truly jealous!! 🤣 Pizza oven next?

Thanks! I thought i did by tagging the challenge? if not, would you point me in the right dorection? ta!
The tag is one of the things you need, but putting it on the recipe thread is important. I actually just happened to notice the recipe, and I wondered why it wasn’t on the recipe thread. I might’ve missed it otherwise. Thanks!

This is really a terrific recipe...please link it to The Wine Recipe Challenge!
DITTO
When I think of Boeuf Bourguignon I think of Julia Child. She brought French cooking to America. Her first show featured Boeuf Bourguignon. Every homemaker in the U.S. made Boeuf Bourguignon for dinner parties. I remember Mother making it when Dad invited his Boss for dinner. A good hostess had to have Boeuf Bourguignon in her repertoire.
Boeuf Bourguignon is the Mother and Father of wine braised cooking.
Do you want to amp up a simple strew? Braise with wine.

Back
Top Bottom