Recipe Boniato Vichyssoise spiked with horseradish

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:15 AM
This can be made vegetarian by swapping the chicken stock for vegetable stock. We also garnished with seared scallops.

2021-01-24-18-05-10-jpg.jpg

Serves 3-4

1/2 large white onion, chopped
1 Tbsp clarified butter
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth if making vegetarian version
1/4 pound leeks, thoroughly cleaned, white only, rough chop (reserve 1-2 leaves of light green parts {probably in the center leaves} for garnish)
3/4 pound boniato (a Latin white sweet potato), peeled and 3/4 inch diced
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp ground white pepper
1-1/2 Tbsp sour cream
1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp prepared horseradish (to taste)
1/4 cup heavy cream

Sweat the onions in the clarified butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat until translucent. Add the bay leaf, thyme, stock, leeks and boniato. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the boniato is soft. Season with salt and pepper. Pass mixture through a food mill or process in a blender and strain through a fine wire mesh colander, pressing on solids. Discard any bits that don't pass through the food mill or colander. Cool, cover and place in refrigerator overnight.

Combine the cold boniato mixture with the sour cream, horseradish and heavy cream. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve chilled with leek ribbon garnishes curled into curliques or chopped into 1/4 inch squares and sprinkled in center of soup.

Leek ribbon garnish: Using reserved light green leek leaves, slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips. Blanch the ribbons in a pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes then remove and place into a bowl of ice water. Dry on paper towels

The addition of horseradish here is a great idea to contrast with sweet potato and cream. I've never eaten boniato - does it taste very different from other sweet potatoes?

It's not as sweet as the orange sweet potatoes, but there is a definite sweetness to it.

Next time I make regular vichyssoise, I'm going to add some horseradish, actually any mostly potato soup.

Back
Top Bottom