Review Book: Your “Healthy” Diet Could Be Quietly Killing Your Brain

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:04 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This isn't a recipe book review but a 'diet' book review with a difference. I have only read the interview, but it was enough to get me to see if the book was available in the UK yet, no such luck. It has a release date of January 2016!

The Book review (http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/)
Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD
Renowned neurologist David Perlmutter, MD, blows the lid off a topic that’s been buried in medical literature for far too long: carbs are destroying your brain. And not just unhealthy carbs, but even healthy ones like whole grains can cause dementia, ADHD, anxiety, chronic headaches, depression, and much more. Dr. Perlmutter explains what happens when the brain encounters common ingredients in your daily bread and fruit bowls, why your brain thrives on fat and cholesterol, and how you can spur the growth of new brain cells at any age. He offers an in-depth look at how we can take control of our “smart genes” through specific dietary choices and lifestyle habits, demonstrating how to remedy our most feared maladies without drugs.

The Interview review. (http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/)
The brain thrives on a fat-rich, low-carbohydrate diet, which unfortunately is relatively uncommon in human populations today," he says. Carbohydrates typically thought of as healthy, even brown rice, 100% whole grain bread, or quinoa—mainstays of many of the most health-conscious kitchens—cause disorders like dementia, ADHD, chronic headaches, and Alzheimer’s, over a lifetime of consumption.

Saturated fat is a fundamental building block for brain cells.

Similarly, cholesterol is vital for a well functioning brain. Cholesterol functions as a brain protective antioxidant. It is the raw material from which our bodies make vitamin D, a fundamental player in preserving brain function. In addition, cholesterol is the precursor for the sex hormones estrogen, progesterone and testosterone – all of which contribute to healthy brain function.

Mr WD always criticised my diet because I don't like fat, or a lot of bread, or cheese, salt,and so much more. Now he suffers from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and his memory is on a par with a goldfish. The problem is, we have been told so many things are bad for us, that it's hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff anymore. What is bad for us today, will allegedly be good for us tomorrow as per the so called experts.

Mr WD always criticised my diet because I don't like fat, or a lot of bread, or cheese, salt,and so much more. Now he suffers from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and his memory is on a par with a goldfish. The problem is, we have been told so many things are bad for us, that it's hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff anymore. What is bad for us today, will allegedly be good for us tomorrow as per the so called experts.
yep - but you can't really argue if "Saturated fat is a fundamental building block for brain cells" and it is possible to grow new brain cells, then you need saturated fat....
What I do know and do see in my own health is that when I am ill or recovering from an illness (currently still ill), and it is taking its toll on my adrenal glands, a diet high in carbs, such as bread which I could easily live off, leaves me with seriously high blood sugar levels. My Dr correctly tells me that it is simply my body unable to deal with 2 rounds of bread for lunch and that she is not worried about the level unless it is causing me major issues - blood glucose levels for me of 12-13 which leave me shaking with a hyperaemic attack are fine when I am ill or recovering. But that is solely as a result of my adrenal insufficiency and combined with steroid use to control my asthma, etc...

It is hard as you say. I think I will stick with the little bit of everything wholesome approach and what takes my fancy on the day.

we all need a balanced diet to live and that is the magic word ,about 4 years ago I decided to remove excessive carbs from my diet and I would exercise after eating,
I started to get significant muscle wastage,you need to eat all the food groups as far as you can ,if like to day I skipped breakfast I suffer for he rest of the day ,I did a round trip to work of 35 miles and I suffered on the last up hill leg ,not enough to stop but dropped averages, no one has ever been diagnosed with death by eating butter as far as I know, but as you say a little of what you like does you good

Good idea. Moderation is the way to go. I find I can't eat much bread either. I get very bloated and feel generally uncomfortable.

This isn't a recipe book review but a 'diet' book review with a difference. I have only read the interview, but it was enough to get me to see if the book was available in the UK yet, no such luck. It has a release date of January 2016!

The Book review (http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/)

The Interview review. (http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/)
This the one http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/g...ugar-your-brains-silent-killers/9781444791907

I find it all so impossible. I agree with Welsh Dragon. There is so much information out there. I can easily find some 'scientifically proven' evidence that proves butter is good for you. I could just as easily find the opposite. Ditto regarding, carbs, proteins, fibre, etc. There are probably only a limited number of things which are really proven regarding diet: for example, that eating more calories than you use up makes you overweight.

I know someone whose partner is obsessive about healthy diet. She orders all sorts of VERY expensive formulas and supplements (often shipped from the US). There are cupboards full of jars of Spirulina and Krill oil capsules. It was always thus, that people searched for magical solutions to sort out their health. Except that now, because of the internet, we can access a myriad of 'solutions'. Its a minefield out there. Some of it I find quite interesting. But I, for one, don't really know what to believe.:(

I do find some of it to be interesting and true. Yesterday I have 2 rounds of sourdough for breakfast and another 2 rounds for lunch. They were not large pieces of bread, but it was well proofed sourdough and very tasty at that. This sourdough has a very high water content. But with me having been so ill recently and immediately after major back surgery, my body has not been responding well to life. I'm not diabetic, but do suffer from hyperglycaemic attacks from time to time when my body is under major stress as it is now. My blood sugar levels were really good yesterday morning before I ate anything, yet having only eaten that for breakfast and lunch with nothing in between, I had a hyperglycaemic attack in the afternoon. My Dr is not concerned about it at the moment and has told me not to worry, but to monitor them and if I start getting confused and they get over a certain (very high) point, I am to call the surgery for help. Anyhow, that was the main reason for the interest in the article and book... I shall be looking at the other side @classic33 shortly. Now it is time for my twice daily walk.... a very slow wander up a lane I am very familiar with, now that I have taken my morphine!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn, not buying the book then?
I shall wait for it to be reviewed more thoroughly and possibly leaked online first... I don't have a job, and don't get anything off the state either, so ££ are limited to essentials and this is not an essential, but a cookery book that can take me up to the free P&P level on an online site is considered an essential.... :whistling:

BBC Focus reviewed it a while back, which is why it sounded familiar.
Did you see any recipes in the piece you saw? I might have had a different link.

Hope the walk went OK.
Yep, it was as quiet and uneventful as normal. Tomorrow mornings will be different though. My physio had dropped off a 4 wheeled walking frame with seat for me to try out. I think she is trying to get me to go over to one so that I can have longer walks and stop as needed though this does mean I have to be able to sit and I currently have a restriction of 5 minutes in that area and sadly the clock does not reset fully once you stand back up again. I also think she is trying to get me to put more weight on my spine when walking rather than taking it through my arms when using the crutches! So I will try it out tomorrow morning and see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom