Bottling Beetroot later.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:55 AM
Covid meant we couldn't buy Beetroot so I used the last jar up last week. Wife went to a new fruit n vege shop owned by a guy I drink with occasionally. A nice guy so we will support him in his new shop. Wife came out and said they have Beetroot! Shall I buy some? Hell yeah.
So I'll boil it up later and bottle it in recycled jars my wife saves. It will be bottled hot in the sterilised jars. My family love my Beetroot and yet I love tinned store bought.
Do you guys bottle stuff.?

Russ

I love beetroot and beet greens. I have never bottled them. I can usually find the roots year round. The roots with the greens only during the cooler months. Last year we had a nice crop in the garden. I need to plant soon.
What you call bottling we call canning but it is in jars with rings and lids with a rubber seal. IDK about the rest of the U.S. in the south we sterilize the jars, rings, seals and tools in boiling water. After the jars are filled they go back into boiling water to facilitate a tight seal. The lids will pop as they cool and seal. Food may be kept for years.

I love beetroot and beet greens. I have never bottled them. I can usually find the roots year round. The roots with the greens only during the cooler months. Last year we had a nice crop in the garden. I need to plant soon.
What you call bottling we call canning but it is in jars with rings and lids with a rubber seal. IDK about the rest of the U.S. in the south we sterilize the jars, rings, seals and tools in boiling water. After the jars are filled they go back into boiling water to facilitate a tight seal. The lids will pop as they cool and seal. Food may be kept for years.

Same here with the pop thing.
Cooking now.

rascal Beetroot and Feta salad is a staple for Croatian. Mrs B got me to grow them in the UK. Her recipe is simple and delicious. Boil the beets till tender. Slice thinly on a mandolin or food processor, toss in and cider vinegar and oil then crumble the feta on top. We had it as a side last night.My pee is a delightful color of pink this morning.
1605504741099.png
1605504839222.png
1605504897750.png

Like TR, I seldom can/preserve anything. My fingers and knuckles hurt if I work too hard (I don't love peeling or cutting due to RA) and there is a large variety of pickled and canned stuff available. There are also several farm sales/stores nearby: they sell home made jams and pickles made from their own berry/veg produce and without preservatives or additives.

I have mixed memories of my grandmother's jams and pickles. She had a history working in a super hygienic dairy/milk processing plant when she was young. Still, the jars/cans were "sterilized" in only an old dishwasher, they were dressed with preservatives, the lids were sealed with alcohol and yet the preservatives (nearly always) had a thin layer of mold on top (which was discarded - and the rest was used). Her canned mushrooms could be stored for years: they contained maybe 50% salt.

Here are fresh and canned (inexpensive) beetroots and beetroot products available in our local supermarket:
red.JPG

I just remember "the canning time" back home being horribly busy for my mom, and all of us were enlisted to help, hauling empty jars in, full jars out, just being general "gopher" help that never seemed to stop. It wasn't as bloody or as smelly as a butchering day, but it was just as much work.

rascal Beetroot and Feta salad is a staple for Croatian. Mrs B got me to grow them in the UK. Her recipe is simple and delicious. Boil the beets till tender. Slice thinly on a mandolin or food processor, toss in and cider vinegar and oil then crumble the feta on top. We had it as a side last night.My pee is a delightful color of pink this morning. View attachment 50567View attachment 50568View attachment 50569

My pickling is 1 litre malt vinegar with 1 litre water with one cup od sugar. Boil then pour over the beets in the jars. I got 10 jars.

Russ

Like TR, I seldom can/preserve anything. My fingers and knuckles hurt if I work too hard (I don't love peeling or cutting due to RA) and there is a large variety of pickled and canned stuff available. There are also several farm sales/stores nearby: they sell home made jams and pickles made from their own berry/veg produce and without preservatives or additives.

I have mixed memories of my grandmother's jams and pickles. She had a history working in a super hygienic dairy/milk processing plant when she was young. Still, the jars/cans were "sterilized" in only an old dishwasher, they were dressed with preservatives, the lids were sealed with alcohol and yet the preservatives (nearly always) had a thin layer of mold on top (which was discarded - and the rest was used). Her canned mushrooms could be stored for years: they contained maybe 50% salt.

Here are fresh and canned (inexpensive) beetroots and beetroot products available in our local supermarket:
View attachment 50600

Beet roots one of my fave vege. :)

Russ

I just remember "the canning time" back home being horribly busy for my mom, and all of us were enlisted to help, hauling empty jars in, full jars out, just being general "gopher" help that never seemed to stop. It wasn't as bloody or as smelly as a butchering day, but it was just as much work.

I know what you mean, I normally do in March April and my wife is a big help. I took most of the jars to the garage pantry last night to clear the bench. And yet I love store bought beets!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom