Bought a collapsible colander the other day!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:08 AM
Colasible colander..jpg
Collapsible colander 2.jpg

It's so cute! Stores flat when not in use. :wink:

Looks similar to mine, except they are flat on the bottom so they stand up. I have a large one and a small one. They're silicone. I'm not sure, but I think you can use them as a lid for pots, in a saucepan to steam vegetables, or in the microwave. Don't think I want to chance it, though. They definitely save space

Last edited:
We have a similar one (the stand up version) that we use in our motorhome - I find it's ok, but can be a bit slow to drain and the things at the bottom don't really dry off. Storage is great though as it collapses down flat. :okay:

At home (where storage space is less of an issue) I tend to use a sieve instead of a colander as I feel they drain thing better. My favourite one is this one from Ikea - its kind of a cross between a sieve and a colander, and it can either stand up or you can extend the handles and suspend it over the sink.

Yours looks like a fine mesh sieve. Yes? I have one of those, but wouldn't it take a long time for anything to drain? The collapsible colander works great for draining hot pasta.

Shermie, now you can use your heavy metal colander as a lamp shade. LOL

Yours looks like a fine mesh sieve. Yes? I have one of those, but wouldn't it take a long time for anything to drain? The collapsible colander works great for draining hot pasta.
I'd describe it as a medium mesh sieve, but in my experience sieves (fine or wide mesh) drain much faster than any colander.

Maybe because colanders have more "body" than "hole", whereas a sieve is probably 50/50 body to hole, or maybe even more hole than body? I'm not sure on the physics of it, but all I know is that draining for example a pan of potatoes or pasta in a sieve is almost instant, whereas with any colander I've tried (I have two metal ones plus the collapsible one in the motorhome) you have to wait for the water to make it's way out of the holes, and then it still doesn't drain completely and the bottom bit always stays slightly wet :(

Shermie, now you can use your heavy metal colander as a lamp shade. LOL

Hah!! :wink:

I got sick and tired of wrestling to drain pasta and veggies. So, I sprung for this set of collanders.

full.jpg

BTW: This is the first photo I've taken with my system camera, Canon EOS 1dx Mk II, since I moved in to this new apartment. It's been so long that I have some things to review and possibly, relearn about its controls.

I got sick and tired of wrestling to drain pasta and veggies. So, I sprung for this set of collanders.

View attachment 62067

BTW: This is the first photo I've taken with my system camera, Canon EOS 1dx Mk II, since I moved in to this new apartment. It's been so long that I have some things to review and possibly, relearn about its controls.

Those are so cute looking!!! :whistling:

I have boring, old fashioned metal wire mesh strainers. Somewhat wide mesh to very fine mesh. The fine mesh has been handy for rinsing quinoa lately. :wink:

CD

Back
Top Bottom