Recipe Bourbon sauce

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
11:50 AM
Firstly, I don't know why this sauce is called "Bourbon". It doesn't contain Bourbon, it doesn't taste like Bourbon, and we were taught* it by a Greek chef, in Cyprus, who had never been anywhere near Kentucky in his life. It is, however, an amazingly versatile hot, sweet and sour sauce. If we have leftover slow cooked pork shoulder from Sunday lunch (in effect, pulled pork), combined with this it makes for a very happy and very easy midweek supper. It also goes well with chicken, duck, turkey and even beef. I've yet to explore putting it with anything else, for some reason, scallops are coming into my mind. Anyway, here we go:

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1/4 cup of apple juice
1/3 cup of light brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Heinz tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
1/2 cup of water
1/3 cup of dark soy sauce.

Method

Lightly fry off the garlic and ginger. Add the rest of the ingredients, heating over a medium heat until mixed/dissolved. Simple as that. You can then add in the pulled pork (or whatever), warm through, and serve over boiled rice, or even dollop some in a bun. Other things we sometime add during cooking are diced red pepper or cooked sweetcorn - gives it a bit of crunch, or extra fresh chilli for added heat. The balance between the sweet elements, the sharpness of the vinegar, the heat of the chilli and the saltiness of the soy is totally divine.

* Credit must go to my wife for being the one not too hung over to stand in the 40 plus deg C kitchen watching the chef whilst I was sitting in a dark corner somewhere clutching a bottle of water and feeling decidedly unwell.

Credit for devising the recipe goes to Georges - Chef/patron of the Secret Valley School of Gastronomy.

Firstly, I don't know why this sauce is called "Bourbon". It doesn't contain Bourbon, it doesn't taste like Bourbon
Maybe it's named for the Bourbon region of France?

This has what looks like a vaguely Asian profile. Regardless of where this came from (Greece, France, or Asia, since we know it's not from Kentucky), I could see this as a marinade for baked or barbecued meats.

You really should tag this for the cooking challenge!

The Bourbon sauce I'm familiar with does have bourbon in it - its called Kentucky Bourbon Sauce. It is quite similar otherwise. The recipe is making me want to cook pulled pork. Mt daughter and grandson are coming for Sunday lunch so I think I may buy some pork to slow cook and make this sauce. I might have to tone down the chilli for the grandson.

Maybe it's named for the Bourbon region of France?

Actually more like Bourbon Street, New Oleans, Louisiana. Lots of great spicy sauces and marinades have come out of that region. Bourbon sauce has become insanely popular in dishes from family to high end
restaurants over the last 10 years or so, on everything from chinken wings to steak.

Back
Top Bottom