Recipe Braised Baby Cucumbers

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:09 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Yep - you read it correctly. Braised Baby Cucumbers. It took me by surprise as well.

I have been going through my late Grannie's recipe book and some of the recipes I wold never look at twice (anything involving meat, fish etc) but some have had me intrigued and this is one of them.

Cucumbers and Sorrel are apparently, according to this article in the Everywoman magazine, two unusual and neglected vegetables which are excellent served with plain poached fish and parsley sauce.

Braised Baby Cucumbers
Here is a way of using the misshapen cucumbers which the growers call "crooks" and sell off cheaply at this time of year.

Ingredients
1lb cucumbers
4oz chopped onion
3oz butter
seasoning
chopped parsley

Method
Chop the cucumbers into small chunks, add the onions (chopped as finely as possible), the butter, salt and pepper and a little water to a heavy bottomed pan and put on a low heat for around half an hour, cover with a lid. The cucumber should not burn because it will release some water.

I have to confess I have no idea as to what you would serve this with, but it is on a page of recipes involving fish.

This does sound like it would be a nice side dish if you were making cod or another light fish. I think the cucumber taste would be masked if you were serving it with a more hearty flavored fish like salmon or tuna. I wish I would have known about this a couple years ago as I manged to grow a whole crop of small deformed cucumbers:roflmao:. It does sound like it would taste lovely. Thanks, I am going to save this recipe.

I have managed to scan in the original...

Braised Baby Cucumbers.jpg

Well I just got a ton of cucumbers and even after my husband gave away most of them, I still have some left. I am trying to decide if this is something the household will enjoy. I want to say I will definitely give it a try and I do always welcome some new recipes, but cucumber under heat; I am not sure. I will throw the idea out and see what kind of response I get. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom