• Basil, fresh: 4 to 5 leaves
  • Garlic: 2 cloves
  • Parsley, fresh: 1 sprig
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO): 2 tbsp
  • Whole plum peeled tomatoes: 400 g
  • Pecorino or Parmigiano, grated: to taste
  • Salt pepper: to taste
Method

Peel the garlic and press it or dice it in extremely small pieces. Finely chop the parsley, as well, then combine the two in a bowl and set it aside.

Place the veal slices on a plate or a clean work surface and season them with salt and pepper, using your fingers to rub them into the meat. Distribute a couple spoonfuls of garlic and parsley on the veal slices and gently press the mixture down on the meat to make sure it adheres well to its surface.

Sprinkle a handful of pecorino on each slice and then close the veal rolls: start by folding in the longer sides, to make sure the filling doesn’t spill out, then roll up the slice by starting at one end and moving towards the other. Use either a kitchen string or toothpicks to close the roll and secure the veal slice in place.

Slice the onion. Heat up the oil in a saucepan and brown the onion on low heat.

Tip: We like to leave our onion in the sauce, but if you’re not really into its strong flavour, simply remove it from the oil right after browning it. The sauce will still have a pleasant, delicate aroma.

Fry up the rolls on medium to low heat, turning them often to make sure they brown evenly. Il will take about 10-15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the basil leaves and season to taste. Stir well and cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes.

Serve warm on a generous spoonful of the tomato sauce.

Last edited:
Very nice! Would you serve with rice or pasta or something else?

Thank you!
The anciently recipe wanted the use of horse meat, but I don't love it very much.
Veal is another good alternative and very used too.
This veal rolls recipe represent a second dish and they are usually accompanied by baked potatoes or even a salad.
With the sauce of these rolls, pasta is usually seasoned. A recipe that contains two actually!

Last edited:
Thank you!
The anciently recipe wanted the use of horse meat, but I don't love it very much.
Veal is another good alternative and very used too.
These veal rolls recipe represent a second dish and they are usually accompanied by baked potatoes or even a salad.
With the sauce of these rolls, pasta is usually seasoned. A recipe that contains two actually!

Yum that looks perfect, we don't get veal here now although we used to. Don't know why? I will get some thinly sliced beef and make this. I do my own tomato sauce so it will go nicely with this.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom