Recipe Bratfud Bangla (Chicken Curry)

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:51 PM
Curry Sauce - Ingredients
  • 3 tblsp Vegetable Oil or ghee
  • 1 Medium onion, chopped
  • 4 Garlic cloves, crushed (or 4 tsp pureed garlic *1)
  • 40 mm Cube ginger, grated (or 4 tsp pureed ginger *1)
  • 4 Fresh green or red chilies, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp Ground cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Ground coriander seeds
  • 300 gm Tomatoes, skinned and chopped
currysauce-2.png

Curry Sauce - Method

Heat the oil/ghee in a wok or heavy frying pan and fry the chopped onion on a medium heat until golden brown (about 5 minutes).

Add the ginger, garlic and fresh chilies and fry for 30 seconds. Turn the heat down to very low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the ingredients burning. Add the turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes stirring continuously. Add a little warm water if the spices start to burn. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Add the mixture together with 125 ml of water to a blender and blend until very smooth. Add the chopped tomatoes and blend a second or two longer. Return the mixture back to the wok and cook for at least 30 minutes over a very low heat stirring occasionally. Add a little warm water if the sauce dries out. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Curry - Ingredients
  • 4 tblsp Vegetable oil or ghee
  • 700 gm Chicken breast, cubed 30 mm
  • 10 Whole dried chilies
  • 1 Medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp Cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp Ground cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp Ground coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 150 gm Thick set natural yoghurt
  • Salt (to taste)
  • 1 tsp Fennugreek seeds, crushed
  • 1 tsp Garam masala
  • 2 tblsp Coriander leaf, finely shredded
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered
curry.jpg

Curry - Method

Heat 1 tblsp oil in a wok or large heavy frying pan and stir fry the chicken pieces over a medium heat until the meat changes colour (about 2 or 3 minutes). Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the rest of the oil to the wok and stir fry the whole dried chilies over a medium heat until they swell. Add the onions and stir fry until golden brown (about 5 minutes).

Turn the heat to low and add 2 tblsp of the curry sauce (see above). Stir a few times then add the chili powder, ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds and paprika. Stir fry very gently for 1 minute. Add the remainder of the curry sauce, the chicken pieces and salt and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little hot water if the sauce dries out.

Now add the yoghurt. Take one tblsp of the yoghurt and add to the curry. Stir until the yogurt blends in. Add a further tablespoon and stir until it blends in. Add all the yogurt in this manner, 1 tblsp at a time.

Add the crushed fenugreek seeds and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, stirring frequently.

Add the garam masala, stir for 30 seconds and remove from the heat. Stir in the shredded coriander leaf and serve with the hard boiled quartered eggs.

[As a variation, peel and 15 mm dice two medium size potatoes and fry in hot oil until brown on all sides (about 10 minutes). Add to the curry before adding the yoghurt.]

Notes:

*1 - To have a regularly available supply of garlic/ginger, I make a puree which will freeze for months. Peel around 10 heads of garlic or 5 ginger roots, roughly chop and place in a liquidiser with a little water. Blend to a smooth paste. Freeze in small plastic containers or better still, ice cube trays so that small quantities may be easily defrosted.

The curry sauce may be made with double or triple the quantities and the excess will keep for a few weeks if frozen

Beef, lamb or goat meat may be used in lieu of chicken. However, the simmering time after adding the yogurt should be increased to 60 minutes if cooking lamb or goat meat and 90 minutes if cooking beef.

Last edited:
This is quite similar to curries I make except that in this case the sauce is made first and then there is more cooking of the chicken with further spices, onions etc. I always either make the curry sauce in one go and then add the chicken/l;lamb/beef whatever. No need to brown the meat but uou can if you want to.

See here for example (although this recipe calls for roasting the aubergine first):Lamb, Aubergine and Beluga Lentil Balti.

This is quite similar to curries I make except that in this case the sauce is made first and then there is more cooking of the chicken with further spices, onions etc. I always either make the curry sauce in one go and then add the chicken/l;lamb/beef whatever. No need to brown the meat but uou can if you want to.

The advantage I find in making the sauce separately is that it is so easy to make 3 times the quantity (no extra work really) and then freeze 2/3rds of it for future use. Even 1/3rd makes about 6 portions of the curry.

The advantage I find in making the sauce separately is that it is so easy to make 3 times the quantity (no extra work really) and then freeze 2/3rds of it for future use. Even 1/3rd makes about 6 portions of the curry.
I do make the sauce separately - then add the meat, so I can do the same.

I always have done and at my age probably always will do until I die. I don't know why, I just do. (a bit like Harry Worth).
I used to think it made a difference. But in curries at least, it seems that putting raw meat in ensures that more flavour penetrates the meat. Try it sometime. You are never to old. And if you are, then I certainly am!!!

I am due to embark upon the production of a Bratfud Bangla today. I shall not brown the chicken up front (and neither shall I wash it).

I spent most of the day preparing and cooking it and then didn't feel like eating it. We had guests in the afternoon also but that did not interfere with the cooking. Anyway, I had a little and it was very good. About the browning of the chicken - I didn't notice any difference in the taste (not that I would having been a smoker and drinker for many years) but I thought the colour of the chicken was a little bland. Normally when I pre-fry the chicken the result is a brown sear on the surface.

bangla nov s.jpg

I'm not sure why the colour of the egg yolk is a little pale. It's not the light.

Back
Top Bottom