Braunschweiger

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:33 PM
How do you feel about this lunch meat? I remember making sandwiches on dark rye bread with a German mustard.

My wife loves it, but I'm not crazy about it. When we were dating, I'd go to her family's house every Sunday, and that was a staple - braunschweiger on crackers, with a slice of raw onion and some mustard.

Funny thing - my dog doesn't like it. We went through a period of fighting her over her pills, and went through all the normal stuff (peanut butter, cheese, hot dog) and the vet said, "Braunschweig always works. Use that."

Didn't work.

We kept it for a couple of weeks, and she never would go near it. :)

My wife loves it, but I'm not crazy about it. When we were dating, I'd go to her family's house every Sunday, and that was a staple - braunschweiger on crackers, with a slice of raw onion and some mustard.

Funny thing - my dog doesn't like it. We went through a period of fighting her over her pills, and went through all the normal stuff (peanut butter, cheese, hot dog) and the vet said, "Braunschweig always works. Use that."

Didn't work.

We kept it for a couple of weeks, and she never would go near it. :)

I wasn't a fan of the available onions to be eaten raw back then.

It was standard Saturday lunch with my parents and grand parents when I was a kid. Served with a slice of onion on a saltine or sandwich on pumpernickel. I remember they would roll the logs in parsley and slice. Also, included sides like Limburger cheese and another stinky cheese I can't remember the name.

I still eat it on occasion ...

Here, braunschweiger is a lot like liverwurst. It comes in a tube and it's solid enough to slice, but soft enough to spread, with a very fine texture. I'll admit I've only ever seen it eaten on crackers, not as a sandwich.

When I used to go to monthly membership meetings at our German club, there was always braunschweiger (or liverwurst) out as a cocktail snack.

Here, braunschweiger is a lot like liverwurst. It comes in a tube and it's solid enough to slice, but soft enough to spread, with a very fine texture. I'll admit I've only ever seen it eaten on crackers, not as a sandwich.

So its made from liver?

So its made from liver?
Yup; from Wikipedia, regarding braunschweiger in the US:

"In the United States and Canada, Braunschweiger refers to a type of pork liversausage which, if stuffed in natural casings, is nearly always smoked. Commercial products often contain smoked bacon, and are stuffed into fibrous casings. Liverwurst (another type of pork liver sausage) however is never smoked nor does it contain bacon.

The USDA requires that the product contain a minimum of 30% liver.[3] A typical commercial formula is about 40% pork liver or scalded beef liver, 30% scalded pork jowl, 20% lean pork trimmings and 10% bacon ends and pieces. Added seasonings include salt and often include white pepper, onion powder or chopped onion, and mace. Curing ingredients (sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite) are optional."

I'm not opposed to liver per se, just not most offal.

I wasn't meaning you specifically - its simply that I've noticed that when offal is mentioned a lot of people on the forum say they can't face eating it. Yet this is (was?) a popular sausage in the USA and eaten by kids.

So people who say no to offal are OK with that? :D

If its liver based I'd probably like it.
Most kids wouldn't know what it's made of. I'm not crazy about offal, though I've eaten plenty of it, and I don't care for braunschweiger that much, but if I went to someone's house and they had it out, I'd eat it just to be polite.

Greenie's Pill Pockets. Any pet store.

CD

Back
Top Bottom