Bread sauce

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
9:12 PM
Does anyone else make this? I've been getting quizzical looks when I mentioned all the breadcrumbs I was preparing for this and home made stuffing for christmas.

Oh yes - I absolutely adore it (packet mixes or home-made). Lots of nutmeg please! I think its rarely found in the USA but in the UK its a classic accompaniment to chicken, turkey and ham. Clarissa Dickson Wright (one of the Two Fat Ladies) once said that bread sauce goes with everything - and I'm inclined to agree!

Yay! I like the packet mix too when making just for myself. Love the stuff. Great with nut roasts, mushroom Wellington, even salmon.

Easy to make it vegan too - it works very well with almond milk in place of dairy - but is it possible to make a decent gluten free bread sauce?

Easy to make it vegan too - it works very well with almond milk in place of dairy - but is it possible to make a decent gluten free bread sauce?
Yes. For just vegan/dairy free I used to use oat milk but now to make gluten free too I use gluten free white breadcrumbs and almond milk. Fortunately no nut allergies!

Reading through my British Christmas edition of Good Housekeeping, several of the recipes have bread sauce along with them.

Not a US thing, really. Never heard of it until I'd moved to the UK, and and haven't really heard of it since I moved back. :)

Reading through my British Christmas edition of Good Housekeeping, several of the recipes have bread sauce along with them.

Not a US thing, really. Never heard of it until I'd moved to the UK, and and haven't really heard of it since I moved back. :)

It medieval, comforting, spicy and beige... you know you want some.

The Tudor recipe from Hampton court is here: Tudor Recipes from Hampton Court

Mine goes like this.

Warm milk with bay leaf, a few black peppercorns and a raw onion studded with cloves. This can be done in advance and left to cool. Remove the bits and mix in white bread crumbs and let this sit them warm and stir until you get a thick sauce. Add salt/pepper/nutmeg/mace to taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tudor recipe from Hampton court is here: Tudor Recipes from Hampton Court

Mine goes like this.

Warm milk with bay leaf, a few black peppercorns and a raw onion studded with cloves. This can be done in advance and left to cool. Remove the bits and mix in white bread crumbs and let this sit them warm and stir until you get a thick sauce. Add salt/pepper/nutmeg/mace to taste.

No milk in the Tudor recipe...

Bread Sauce was another thing I never knew existed until a few weeks ago watching a British cooking show on YouTube.

CD

Back
Top Bottom