Breakfast, A Thing Of The Past ?

Termyn8or

Local time
5:57 AM
I didn't eat breakfast for decades. Just went off to work and was fine. Then I went into the hospital in 2017 and they kinda got me hooked on it again. However of late I have been skipping it.

Sometimes I feel a little bit of hunger but it is very mild.

Later I also skipped lunch, mainly because at work it would make me tired. I cannot have that on the job, it is too demanding. Well all I had to do is my own work and help everyone at the shop and always be right. I got top buck but there was no room for error, well not much. The last cpouple jobs were good, I was involved. I improved the places and I liked it. But to do that I had to be 100%, that means no more toke breaks. (we did that at one place, if anyone called for us the secretary said we were out "rotating the tires", she was really cool)

But then I got my chances. I told the bosses what to do from day one, at first they look at me funny, like who da boss ? Then it is not forceful but "Believe me, do this". They did, it came out great and then I was respected, and more and more of these got me no official title but I didn't need one. And I wouldn't make more money, I was already at the top of the pay scale by any sane metric, and the perks, eesh. Ever here the word "Anything" ? Well that was about it. i got the problems without the title, fine with me. $$$

I just couldn't eat at work, so I ended up one meal per day.

For a while I relied too much on fast food and hurt my health. Got a bad back, really bad knees and just, well not what I would expect for like 35(?).

Then I found the time to cook and got off this junk food. My body healed itself. So cooking DOES mean something to me.

When I changed the way I eat, my knees were so bad I could not go down a flight of steps without excruciating pain. One night many moons into eating better I wake up in the middle of the night and my knees are like on fire. I mean the temperature was almost too hot to touch. It was not painful, but quite unusual. I went back to sleep and when I woke up my knees were completely healed. ZERO pain.

So I am a big fan of cooking.

But not breakfast.

Right now I float between one and two meals per day. Depends what I eat first, if it is alot it might be all, if not I forage later.

Lately, tthe only itme I eat when I first get up is if I had not eough last night, or sometimes if there is a pot of good soup or something on the stove I might forage that.

So, whaddya think, do we need three meals a day ?

T

By now I don’t need three meals a day, or at least not “full meals”. For example I can skip dinner or just eating/nibbling something light like snack or mini-sandwich or veggies in the evening but what I can’t skip is breakfast neither lunch, the two much important meals to me. Then it depends in personal habits and life-style, age, work, time..

I don't know if we "need" three meals a day (my parents eat twice a day), but if I had to cut a meal, it'd be lunch, not breakfast. That's my favorite meal.

During the week, though, it's almost always cold cereal (today...blueberry Cheerios), maybe it'll be yogurt and fruit once in a while, or the occasional scrambled egg and mayonnaise sandwich, but weekends, it's pancakes or waffles or oatmeal or fried eggs and fried potatoes, Dutch baby, breakfast pizza, breakfast casserole, biscuits and gravy, cream of wheat, lots of bacon, lots of ham, lots of sausage. Whatever it is, it's got to be a hot/cooked breakfast.

No, I do not believe that we NEED three meals per day. I think that was more common when people worked on farms and needed a large start of carbs for the back-breaking work. For most, I think it's just a habit.

I've never been a big eater. We never got breakfast during the week and our mother didn't make us lunches. We still had to go to the lunchroom during that period. Looking back, I wonder why none of the adults said anything about us not having food.

I have a bunch of GI problems so I have to be very careful in what I eat. Thankfully, I really fruits and vegetables and like juice fasting every now and again. I'm not a vegetarian but I usually only want beef when I get anemic. I like chicken and fish. Poultry doesn't like me so I don't have it often.

My biggest barrier to cooking now is my health. I don't use my stove or oven if my caregiver isn't here for safety reasons. I also don't feel up to cooking many days just because I'm not doing well and that's the worst time to be near fast food. Usually, we prepare a few salads or sandwiches or something I can just reheat.

So, like you, I fluctuate between 1-2 meals a day. Some days (like the last two) I eat nothing at all. That's when I rely on protein drinks.

It is vastly different than it was when I had a husband and children around. I was just thinking the other day that I would have loved to be here when I had my family. I would have a billion pictures and recipes to share because I cooked and baked all the time back then.

All in all, I honestly think people should work more on listening to their own bodies versus what other people have to say on these kind of subjects. We know best what we can tolerate and what helps and what doesn't. Following that path, one can never go wrong.

I'll eat breakfast at 9-9:30 or brunch-ish up to 11, then rarely eat dinner until between 6 and 7. Breakfast more often than not is an egg and a piece or 2 of toast, or avocado toast or even leftovers from the previous night's dinner if I can't eat it all, like with the Hot Brown the other night. We rarely make a big breakfast as it makes both of us too heavy and lethargic rest of day. I might have a little snack during the morning to early afternoon hours, but it's a "little" snack, like half a sandwich or a few potato chips or yogurt, half of an apple, etc. If I eat something like even a small fries and a Jr. cheeseburger, or skip the fries and eat a regular sized burger from a fast food place or we eat out for lunch, I'm just not hungry for dinner and will just snack on something later in the evening.

I eat about 4-5 times a day..usually small meals, except I finally sit down and have some kind of dinner..I've had to make an effort to eat less at dinner time because I always feel the need to cook full course...dropping carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta etc..for most meals helps and speeds up dinner prep and clean up..

Breakfast is almost never eaten here by me, I used to run an engineering ( structural) as 2Ic to the owner, I started at 7.30 am and never had time. That was 40 years ago and I just never started having breakfast to this day. Cup of tea and a few biscuits but I've cut biscuits out a month ago while cutting back on sugar. I most days don't eat until tea time. I'll occasionally have a piece of toast with eggs or shrooms on, around midday. People say I should eat brekky, it doesn't bother me, I know there's food here if I want.
Most days it's a seagulls breky, a leak and a look around. :)

Russ

In Turkey, breakfast used to be the most important meal for me (Turkish breakfast is like a ritual). There, we had places specifically serving full breakfast, almost every business center has a cafetaria offering open buffet breakfast, with olives, at least 4-5 kinds of cheese, eggs cooked in different ways (with sucuk, pastirma, cheese, omelette, menemen, scrambled eggs).
Since moving to NL, it has been losing it's importance for me, as habits and rituals are also changing due to the environment / availability. Here, many people skip breakfast, or just eat a slice of bread with cheese.
This is a proper breakfast we used to have before starting to work, it costs around $5 - 6 per person in a decent breakfast place 😊

Missing breakfast is a symptom. It's a symptom of the problem of living in a hurry-up world, induced with stresses that turn people into lunatics on the roadways, irritable in their associations and mindless in their reactions to the world around them.

Breakfast is not a thing of the past. It remains the most important meal of the day, providing the body fuel to burn in the initial hours of the day. Food has a soothing and satisfying effect on the conscious spirit. An empty stomach is a portent to aggressive behavior in the hunger it defines.

Breakfast need not be a huge meal, but at least something to begin the day with.

Missing breakfast is a symptom. It's a symptom of the problem of living in a hurry-up world, induced with stresses that turn people into lunatics on the roadways, irritable in their associations and mindless in their reactions to the world around them.

Breakfast is not a thing of the past. It remains the most important meal of the day, providing the body fuel to burn in the initial hours of the day. Food has a soothing and satisfying effect on the conscious spirit. An empty stomach is a portent to aggressive behavior in the hunger it defines.

Breakfast need not be a huge meal, but at least something to begin the day with.
I hear what your saying, but nutrition in North America is so misunderstood and some intervention needs to be vetted to combat the growing unhealthy population that is getting fatter with the current generation living shorter lives and this is the first time this has happened. Cereal grains for breakfast is an intervention that rose from a particular group that were vegetarian and wanted to get people away from the bacon and egg go to, for example. It's also interesting to look at the the Agricultural interests who have monetary gains that we consume as many processed products as the general population can possibly consume. There's no money it for them if people started to consume a more natural non processed diet and their budgets to fight against this trend is in the billions yearly. They are a well oiled machine. imo cheers

Whether breakfast is a miraculous meal that we must all start off with or chaos prevails is a different subject all together.

I intermittent fast with my window being 18:6. Basically I eat all my food in that 6 hour window, which starts around 4pm. So no breakfast for me.

Don't quite understand what you mean by the 18:6 window. Do you mean you eat nothing all day except between 4 pm and 10pm?

I'm not far off that pattern but I do have a small snack at lunch time. I never eat breakfast unless I'm in a hotel and its provided (those were the days!). Main meal is around 10 pm.

However I do cook an early lunch (brunch) for others - and sometimes that resembles a full English breakfast.

Don't quite understand what you mean by the 18:6 window. Do you mean you eat nothing all day except between 4 pm and 10pm?

I'm not far off that pattern but I do have a small snack at lunch time. I never eat breakfast unless I'm in a hotel and its provided (those were the days!). Main meal is around 10 pm.

However I do cook an early lunch (brunch) for others - and sometimes that resembles a full English breakfast.
Yes MG that is correct, I eat between 4pm and 10pm. I do it mostly for the great health benefits.

Last edited:
I eat 2 or three meals a day - sometimes one of those three meals is very small. For instance a few days back I had a really large breakfast, an open faced melted cheese with pea shoots lunch, and simply a large artichoke for dinner.

I nearly always eat breakfast - somewhere between 7 and 10 in the morning. If I'm having a late one, I will only have one more meal that day. Breakfast for me gets me going. Usually it is something with eggs, occasionally it is oatmeal, and more rarely, it's pancakes. When I am in a rush, it's soft or hard boiled eggs and that's it. (A pinch of salt.) Or I eat leftovers if it is a rush.

Occasionally I'll even cook up dinner for breakfast - something that I need to make before it goes bad (or for posting online), and I won't have time the rest of the day. I'll be doing that tomorrow morning.

Yes MG that is correct, I eat between 4pm and 10pm. I do it mostly for the great health benefits.

I am considering having a window for eating - although it would be totally different hours than yours... I'm hungriest in the morning, and being retired this would usually work for me. 9 to 5, which would make it a 16:8 window, I'm already at a mostly-15:9 schedule - I am in bed WELL before 10 pm!!!!! No way I'd want to eat that late!

Back
Top Bottom