Breakfast Burritos

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
9:32 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
One of my hubby's favorite weekend breakfasts are breakfast burritos.

Basically, he gets a tortilla, scrambles a couple eggs, adds some refried beans, salsa, cheese, and chorizo sausage if we have it...and wraps it all up. It's probably not the most low calorie of breakfasts but he thinks it's the best!

Do any of you enjoy breakfast burritos? Do you have any interesting ingredients that you add to yours, that might be a bit out of the realm of the normal ingredients people add to theirs?

I have had the breakfast burriots at McDonalds and I really like those. I haven't made a breakfast burrito at home...but I made huevos rancherso once for dinner and they were super. I would definitely do that again. Your husband's breakfast burrito sounds a lot like huevos rancheros...and there are several different variations of that recipe. I found how many when I was searching them.

I have tried to make my own version of breakfast burritos, I liked it ok. I did find them very filling but took too long to make when I am in a hurry. A bowl of cereal is quicker. I will do the burritos on days I am not in a hurry.

I just made a couple actually this morning, before reading this, lol. I was limited to what I had on hand, so it was just some frozen peppers and onions I sauteed off, along with three eggs, some Tapatio hot sauce, and a Mexican blend of shredded cheese, wrapped in some warmed flour tortillas. Normally I like to use some sort of sausage in it as well, such as some diced turkey sausage or some mild breakfast sausage.

In the past I've tried using frozen spinach, but wasn't too pleased with the results since it made the burrito too watery and runny. Same goes for jarred salsa. I like breakfast burritos, but you have to be careful of the moisture content of what you're adding to them, otherwise they leak all over while you're trying to eat them.

They sound good Ohio Tom. I wouldn't mind making them at home either. I really loved the Huevos Rancheros my homemade version was super. My roommate used to eat tortillas alot in place of bread until he found how many carbs were in them...but he used to use the huge ones...of course anything with that much corn or flour in them are going to be high in carbs.

I don't know why my husband loves burritos. He would have that whenever we would to Hongkong Disneyland where it is available. From what I know, there are no burrito stores in the Philippines although a friend said that Mexican restaurants have it. I normally order taco and quesadillas when I dine in Mexican restaurants. With burrito, I once had tasted it and I never tried it again because it didn't suit my taste buds. But my husband insists that burrito is one heck of a healthy food.

I don't know why my husband loves burritos. He would have that whenever we would to Hongkong Disneyland where it is available. From what I know, there are no burrito stores in the Philippines although a friend said that Mexican restaurants have it. I normally order taco and quesadillas when I dine in Mexican restaurants. With burrito, I once had tasted it and I never tried it again because it didn't suit my taste buds. But my husband insists that burrito is one heck of a healthy food.
They definitely can be, if you are careful about what you wrap in to them! Quesadillas, though... that's where it's at. :) Also, just as easy to make!

Breakfast burritos are great when you want to throw everything in without a ton of effort. Heck, I like to load up mine with eggs, hash, bacon, sausage, green peppers, and mushrooms. I usually make one big one or a few small ones and I won't share so don't ask!

My husband eats these frequently, since it's something that's quick and easy for me to make early in the morning. I used to make them for the kids as well. I'd make them ahead of time and freeze them. With four kids, it paid to make a bunch in advance. They'd pop one out of the freezer, heat it up for about a minute, and have a hot, filling, breakfast.

I love breakfast burritos! Unfortunately I am now gluten free and have not found a gluten free tortilla that is capable of holding together once filled. Breakfast burritos used to be something I loved to make a bunch of and freeze individually for easy breakfast.

This is what I would do:
In a crock-pot I would cook a bag of hash browns with butter and seasonings. After that cooked I would add a dozen scrambled eggs. Next I would add in mild breakfast sausage already cooked. Then I would add shredded cheese and mix it all together. Then I would make an assembly line where I filled, folded and wrapped up each burrito in plastic wrap. Then I would freeze them in a pan before transferring to plastic freezer bags. To reheat just unwrap first and put on a plate and reheat in the microwave or oven.

I have tried to make my own version of breakfast burritos, I liked it ok. I did find them very filling but took too long to make when I am in a hurry. A bowl of cereal is quicker. I will do the burritos on days I am not in a hurry.

I make everything in the same pan. I cook the sausage up, drain it, and then add a few drops of milk and toss an egg into the pan. I keep the sausage to one side while scrambling the egg on the other side. Then, I mix them together.

You can also make them in advance and freeze them. They work surprisingly well that way and can be heated up quickly when you want one.

If these are a little too time taking for you just make them into quesadillas instead. Use any ingredients you want, put your tortilla flat out, lay ingredients on half, fold over, brown each side for a few minutes until ingredients are warm. They are easy to eat and make as well. My very particular younger cousin will eat quesadillas but not burrito's. I like to cut them like I would a pizza, so he grabs them up like a chip to snack away when he wants to watch tv.

I'll make breakfast wraps for my kids on the weekends. They love it with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese and onions. My husband likes his with a bit of spice so he'll add tabasco sauce to his. I love that you can make these so quickly and they can be wrapped and eaten on the go.

If these are a little too time taking for you just make them into quesadillas instead. Use any ingredients you want, put your tortilla flat out, lay ingredients on half, fold over, brown each side for a few minutes until ingredients are warm. They are easy to eat and make as well. My very particular younger cousin will eat quesadillas but not burrito's. I like to cut them like I would a pizza, so he grabs them up like a chip to snack away when he wants to watch tv.

My little one loves quesadillas with a bit of seasoned cooked chicken and shredded cheese! I also cut them into slices like a pizza for her, and use the smaller tortilla rounds so that they're more suited to a toddlers hands!

Back
Top Bottom