5) Hash brown shredded potato - 1/8 cup
6) Shredded cheese blend - as desired
7) Salsa, divided - 1/8 cup
8) Tortillas, flour - 1 to 2
9) Cilantro - as desired
10) Sour cream - as desired

Procedure:

1) Fry the bacon strips.
2) Chop up the bacon strips into pieces or bits.
3) Chop up the scallions and Serrano peppers.
4) Mix in a bowl the two eggs, scallions and Serrano peppers.
5) Scramble cook the egg, scallion and peppers mix.
6) Lay out a tortilla to be filled.
7) Layer on the tortilla, along the middle, the scrambled egg.
8) Cover with hash browns.
9) Sprinkle on the bacon pieces or bits.
10) Splash over some salsa, about 1 to 2 tblspns.
11) Cover with shredded cheese.
12) Sprinkle with Cilantro.
13) Fold over the left and right edges of the tortillas.
14) Roll up the tortillas to form a burrito.
15) Repeat steps 6 to 14 for a possible 2nd chimichanga.
16) Preheat a deep pot with cooking oil to 350F.
17) Deep Fry each burrito to create the breakfast chimichanga.
18) Plate the chimichanga(s).
19) Cover with sour cream and then, some additional salsa.
20) Serve.

Chimichangas are not something familiar in the UK. I think we only just got the hang of tortillas! I love the combination of ingredients in the filling here, especially the scrambled eggs with Serrano peppers.

The hash brown shredded potato ingredient - is that 'already fried' hash brown?

Would have liked to see a photo of a cross section interior (difficult to do, I know),

Chimichangas are not something familiar in the UK. I think we only just got the hang of tortillas! I love the combination of ingredients in the filling here, especially the scrambled eggs with Serrano peppers.

Would have liked to see a photo of a cross section interior (difficult to do, I know),

Chimis are not as common as burritos, because they take more work to make. I did not pre-fry the hash browns, but figured that they would cook when the chimi is deep fried, - and they did.

Yeah, I'm not too often cutting things in half. I'll do that with today's meal.

I like my hash browns crispy. I think the ingredient profile sounds awesome, but yeah, I would have precooked the potatoes.

Last edited:

Chimichangas are considered TexMex, but I believe they actually came from the state of New Mexico or Arizona. They are popular in California, around the Bay area where flyinglentris lives. They are basically a deep fried burrito. They are good.

Like others have said, the only change I would make is to pre-fry the hash browns. And, a cross section photo would be nice.

CD

I like my hash browns crispy. I think the ingredient profile sounds awesome, but yeah, I would have precooked the potatoes.

I had thought to, but I had too much going on at the time. I have been cooking dry black beans to make chili dogs and it takes forever to get them soft. If you decide to make the breakfast chimis, feel free to fry the hash browns.

I had thought to, but I had too much going on at the time. I have been cooking dry black beans to make chili dogs and it takes forever to get them soft. If you decide to make the breakfast chimis, feel free to fry the hash browns.
I make beans in one of my small crockpots. No need to monitor much besides the occasional stir.

I make beans in one of my small crockpots. No need to monitor much besides the occasional stir.

It's the occasional stir and water level monitoring that keeps my attention divided. Multi-tasking between the kitchen and other things sometimes makes me opt to make some small sacrifices, like frying the hash browns. But really, it's not a big deal. The chimis themselves are nice and crispy.

Last edited:
My son lived in Mexico City for 6 years. I have to admit I never saw chimichangas there at all. I did have a deep-fried Burrito with spicy swordfish, however!

It's the occasional stir and water level monitoring that keeps my attention divided. Multi-tasking between the kitchen and other things sometimes makes me opt to make some small sacrifices, like frying the hash browns. But really, it's not a big deal. The chimis themselves are nice and crispy.
I probably stir beans in my crockpot thrice during the cooking process, maybe add water once, if at all. Crockpots (slow cookers for non-Americans) make it easy.

Everyone has their taste preferences, we like crisp potatoes. My husband is a bit spoiled and wouldn't eat them otherwise, lol.

Back
Top Bottom