Breaking The Routine

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
10:32 PM
It is almost impossible for life not to become a repetitive ritual. Wake up, go to work or whatever, eat, attend to personal or interpersonal routines, sleep and repeat, day after day.

How do you break up the routine of daily existence?

Interesting topic.

I find, though, that I like ritual, for the most part, so I'm more apt to embrace it, at least with some things. I feel like it lends stability to the day, and I'm not much for large doses of spontaneity, for the most part.

My M-F morning routine is one, my weekend one is another, we nearly always watch Midsomer Murders on Sunday nights, that sort of thing.

I never really found this to be a problem. If you describe things vaguely enough, anything can be made to sound the same.

When we were still working that's how life was and the only way it got broken up was twice a year we'd go on vacation for 2 weeks.
Mind you, living in Hawaii means that 9 out of 10 times you got on an airplane to go somewhere.

Now that we're retired life is never mundane. We don't keep to any sort of schedule for the most part, other than if we appointments for something or another.
Like today for instants, I have an appointment with my Aesthetician, so all three of us will pile into the car and have late lunch/early dinner out at a restaurant. This just might proof interesting seeing as it's four days before Christmas and folks go a little crazy running around like chickens without heads!

I can't keep the same routines running for too long or I feel stuck in rut. So, I do try to find alternate paths through the days. That was easy when I could travel a lot, but has become more difficult while homebound, disabled and with the pandemic playing home jailer to us all.

I can't keep the same routines running for too long or I feel stuck in rut. So, I do try to find alternate paths through the days. That was easy when I could travel a lot, but has become more difficult while homebound, disabled and with the pandemic playing home jailer to us all.
With the current conditions, what're you doing to break the rut (asking you your own question!)?

With the current conditions, what're you doing to break the rut (asking you your own question!)?

Well yes. First, I have to give it some thought, but I do have some things I like to do with my time, homebound, that I haven't been paying much attention to of late. One of these is writing (fiction and nonfiction). I think it is time to turn back to the manuscripts and create my own adventures again. Else, there is some reading I need to catch up on concerning some technical stuff that I hold an interest in.

For a while, fitting out this new apartment had kept me busy, but I've gone as far as I can go with that after 6 to 7 months. Cooking gets routine and it just won't keep my mind out of a rut, by itself.

Back
Top Bottom