Breastfeeding in public - what do you think?

Having said that, its made me think about 'going to the toilet' and different customs. No - I don't think I'll post a new thread about that.
We met a Brazilian-Spanish 'girl' who lived in Sweden whilst we were on our big cycle tour. We were in Latvia at the time and got talking to her when we flagged her down and she saw our bikes (we had stopped for a break at the top of a gorge - going in had been fun, getting out on heavily laden bikes was not so fun). She joined us for 4 or 5 days (we travelled into Lithuania which she had had no plans for but was curious about) changing her tour plans when she realised ours were totally flexible and we cycled roughly the same distance as she did each day. Also she was curious as to how we camped for free most of the time, so we all learnt from each other. She had an interesting approach to going to the bathroom - we were pretty liberal by then, but usually managed to find some form of cover or at least removed hi-viz clothing and had the other on 'guard' duty... Her approach as more if she needed it and there was nothing around, she got on with it. We know she had bladder problems, and needed to pee more often. We would cross our legs if we were in a town and nothing was available. But her approach was to get a towel out or something similar and wrapping it around her as she squatted often in a ditch at the side of the road - at one point a major interchange (major by Lithuanian standards this is) - and just got on with it. There was nothing to see, it was something she had adopted in India, but everyone knew what you were doing. Later on, I was to need the same technique especially in the Muslim areas of some countries, or just straight Muslim countries. I would get away from the side of the road (after an incident in Sweden of all countries!) but still wrap a towel around me even though my OH would be on watch for me. When done, the towel could come off. Nothing to see, no chance of seeing anything but also no doubt as to what had just happened! It is a subject matter that most cyclists are pretty open about simply because you have to deal with it one way or another and a lot of women's cycle clothing (and men's bib short & bob longs) are not up to the job for!

If you are doing for the baby, go for it. If you are doing it for attention to yourself, sounds like Munchausen's syndrome.

A while ago there was a story regarding a woman who claimed a member of security threw her out of a store for breastfeeding, women were angry and kicked up a hell of a fuss. Turns out it never happened so she ended up in court-wasting police time etc... no idea what her motive was but she had her 15 minutes of fame although it backfired big time.

Back
Top Bottom