Brisket!

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:31 AM
We just got done prepping the grill and a brisket to cook tomorrow. Started with a 17.67 pound whole brisket, but had to cut it down to about 11 pounds as we are going to try the Cook's Country snake method that needs a 10 to 12 pound brisket. When they did it on the show, it was the most moist piece of brisket I've ever seen, the juice just squirted out when the meat was pressed. So, we've got a small piece to grind up with a chuck cut for burgers and a couple of other pieces to do whatever with, plus around 11 pounds of whole brisket. Salt and pepper only for seasoning. It's been rubbed down and is in the fridge overnight.

Winn Dixie had brisket on sale a couple of weeks ago in vacu-packs. Got the above for $53, regular $105. Not bad.

Pics starting tomorrow.

Using a 22 inch Weber grill, open the bottom vent fully and then make a charcoal snake of 29 charcoal briquettes around the outside edge of the grill, overlapping slightly, with an 8 inch space between the ends. Place an additional 29 briquettes in an inner ring, then place another layer of 29 and 29 on top of the previous layer. You will have a 4 briquette by 4 briquette snake when you are finished. Next, take 5, about 3 inches each, chunks of wood, like oak, cherry, pecan, etc, and space evenly along the snake, with the first piece being about 4 inches from where you will start the snake burning. Place a 10x13 aluminum pan in the center. This will be filled with water later.

Trim your whole brisket down as necessary so that it weighs between 10 and 12 pounds. Mix 1/4 cup each salt and black pepper. Evenly coat the brisket with the mixture, rubbing in lightly. Place brisket on a rack on a rimmed sheet pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Pics and more to come tomorrow.

I have used the snake method on my Webers a few times, but never on brisket. Just shorter cooks.

Glad to see you are doing a Texas BBQ "Dalmatian Rub." Just salt and pepper.

I can't wait to see how it turns out! :okay:

CD

Lit grill.

Brisket on the grill.

Light 10 briquettes in a chimney. Pour over the end of snake where the first chunk of wood is set at 4 inches from end. Put the cooking grate in and allow to heat for a few minutes, then clean and oil. Place the brisket on the grate fat side down with the point toward the gap in the coals. Place a temperature probe set for 170 F in the side of the upper third of the brisket. Place the lid on with the vent fully open and over the gap. Allow to cook undisturbed for 4 to 5 hours until meat reaches 170 F.

Once meat is at 170 F, remove the brisket from the grill using oven mitts, then wrap the brisket in 2 large sheets of foil. Wrap brisket with 1 sheet of foil, then turn 90 degrees and wrap with the other. Meat should be fully encased in foil, use an additional piece if necessary. Use a marker to mark the point of the brisket and the meat side.

Remove the cooking grate. Starting at the still unlit end of the snake, pour 3 quarts of unlit briquettes about half way around outside edge of grill over the gap and spent coals. Replace the grate. Return the wrapped brisket to the grill with the fat side down and point facing where the gap used to be. Replace the temperature probe in the point, cover grill and continue to cook until internal temperature of meat reaches 205 F, around 1 to 2 hours longer.

Once brisket is at 205 F, remove from the grill and place in a cooler, point side up, close and let meat rest for 2 hours, up to 3 hours. Afterward, move brisket to a cutting board, unwrap, turn fat side up. Slice the point straight down in 1/4 inch slices against the grain. Once you reach base of point and muscle fibers change direction, rotate 90 degrees and continue slicing against the grain in slightly thicker slices, 3/8 inch. Serve.

Last edited:
Can't see the juice coming out, but you can see it on the board. Moist, tender, but yet had the pull you want when pulling a slice apart.

We both think the pepper and salt should be cut down, maybe to 3/16 cup each at least for our taste.

A fiddly technique, but it makes great brisket!

Last edited:
Can't see the juice coming out, but you can see it on the board. Moist, tender, but yet had the pull you want when pulling a slice apart.

We both think the pepper and salt should be cut down, maybe to 3/16 cup each at least for our taste.

If you are going to leave salt on the meat overnight before cooking, you should probably cut back a bit. The salt penetrates a lot more when you salt the night before.

CD

If you are going to leave salt on the meat overnight before cooking, you should probably cut back a bit. The salt penetrates a lot more when you salt the night before.

CD
We followed Cook's Country's directions exactly since this was the first time trying this technique, that included the amounts and the overnight seasoning. It was more the pepper for me, though a tiny bit salty. It was both for Craig.

Would I be able to do it in THIS? I want to do it, but we are not allowed to cookout here, so I must find another way to do it. This appliance really cooks low & slow. It is good for making ribs, chicken, pork roasts & shoulders. I've never done brisket before, & I'd love to try it!!! :whistling:

I found a recipe for it in the recipe booklet that came with the machine (pictured above). I'm going to do it!! It's called Dark & Stormy Brisket. I'll post a pic of it when It's finished. :whistling:

Last edited:
We followed Cook's Country's directions exactly since this was the first time trying this technique, that included the amounts and the overnight seasoning. It was more the pepper for me, though a tiny bit salty. It was both for Craig.

I don't think I would use a Cook's Country recipe for any kind of real BBQ. They are more of a Tuna Noodle Casserole kind of recipe source, IMO.

CD

I don't think I would use a Cook's Country recipe for any kind of real BBQ. They are more of a Tuna Noodle Casserole kind of recipe source, IMO.

CD

Your loss then at least in this case. That was the best brisket we've ever had. Even leftover and reheated it was still moist juicy and tender.

Your loss then at least in this case. That was the best brisket we've ever had. Even leftover and reheated it was still moist juicy and tender.

I thought it was too salty and peppery?

Aaron Franklin has a series of videos on brisket. My instinct would be to do whatever he does.

CD

Back
Top Bottom