Recipe Broad Bean 'Hummus'

Arch

Guru
Local time
8:56 PM
Saw this recipe linked to on Twitter, looks nice. Broad beans are one of the things we'll probably grow when we have a garden, and are so easy, but you can get a glut and it's nice to have some alternative uses:

6 oz / 160g broad beans
juice 1/2 small lemon
10-12 mint leaves
4 Tbspns olive oil, plus extra
2 Tbspns water
zest of small lemon
½tspn salt

Method
Boil or steam the beans for 3-5 minutes, until tender. Older beans may need longer cooking.
Cool.
Blitz beans, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, water and mint until smooth in a processor or with a hand held stick blender,
Taste for seasoning. Add more olive oil on top and a bit of chopped mint.
Serve with crusty bread or crackers.

it is a recipe I have seen coming up a lot recently. shall have to try it, a little variation in my hummus recipes would be nice, much as I adore chickpeas... now to source some broadbeans - might have to speak with my MIL who we are visiting this weekend

I'm guessing it's a good way to use the older beans too, the ones that 'get away'...

same as chickpeas and any other pea/bean... in the oven.

cook them as normal, drain, shake in a bag with a little seasoning and a touch of oil (only a touch is needed if you use the shake in the bag method) then lay on a metal tray only 1 bean deep and roast at 180C. Chickpeas I find take around an hour, but after 45 mins I watch them carefully, checking every 10 mins. over-roasted are not nice. You can use any variety of spices or just salt & pepper. various recipes online give some ideas - just goggle spicy roasted chickpeas or similar. we do our own so we can limit the amount of salt involved - though right now, I am eating the shop bought ones to replace the salt I have lost cycling in the hottest part of the day!

just tried this concept with aduki beans and it also works really well and the great thing about aduki beans is you don't need to pre-soak them!
leaves me wondering how many other beans it might work with.... time to experiment over the next few weeks!

You might want to add some tahini for proper consistency. Or you could add some dill for more taste. Dill is very popular in hummus. I like the looks of the recipe and I will give it a shot one of these weekends. I also recommend black olives in hummus. That turns out fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom