4 cups water
1-2/3 cups instant cornmeal
2 TBsp butter
1TBsp fennel seeds
2 Tbsp finely chopped flat parsley
Olive oil, for brushing
Salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Place the water in a pan, add salt to taste, and bring to a boil. Sprinkle in the cornmeal, stirring constantly.

Stir over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or according to the package directions, until the cornmeal thickens and comes away from the sides of the pan.

Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, fennel seeds, and parsley. Season with pepper to taste.

Brush a rectangular ovenproof dish with oil. Spoon the cornmeal mixture into the prepared dish, and spread the surface level. Let set.

Preheat the broiler to high. When set, turn out the polenta and cut into slices.

Brush the polenta slices with oil and place under the preheated broiler until browned and crispy.

Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of "Frame-By-Frame Italian"

NOTE: I followed the directions on my container of Quaker Old-Fashioned Grits to prepare that portion, and I also stirred in a handful of grated Parmesan cheese.

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Corn

I've never made grilled polenta and only once made creamy style polenta. This does look rather good. I imagine the fennel seed adds a good aniseedy contrast to the slightly sweet polenta.

I've never made grilled polenta and only once made creamy style polenta. This does look rather good. I imagine the fennel seed adds a good aniseedy contrast to the slightly sweet polenta.
I didn't really notice the fennel flavor in the polenta because I had it with Italian sausages, which were loaded with fennel on their own. I do remember thinking that the polenta made a nice neutral base, actually. I think the Parmesan came through more than anything else; well, besides the cornmeal flavor/texture.

I didn't really notice the fennel flavor in the polenta because I had it with Italian sausages, which were loaded with fennel on their own. I do remember thinking that the polenta made a nice neutral base, actually. I think the Parmesan came through more than anything else; well, besides the cornmeal flavor/texture.
Great dish. I've never grilled it before, but using pretty much the same method as you describe I have deep fried it. After setting, cut into chips, roll in Parmesan then deep fry.

BROILED POLENTA WITH FENNEL SEEDS
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
4 cups water
2 TBsp butter
1TBsp fennel seeds
Olive oil, for brushing

DIRECTIONS
Place the water in a pan, add salt to taste, and bring to a boil. Sprinkle in the cornmeal, stirring constantly.

Stir over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or according to the package directions, until the cornmeal thickens and comes away from the sides of the pan.

Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, fennel seeds, and parsley. Season with pepper to taste.

Brush a rectangular ovenproof dish with oil. Spoon the cornmeal mixture into the prepared dish, and spread the surface level. Let set.

Preheat the broiler to high. When set, turn out the polenta and cut into slices.

Brush the polenta slices with oil and place under the preheated broiler until browned and crispy.

Serve immediately.

NOTE: I followed the directions on my container of Quaker Old-Fashioned Grits to prepare that portion, and I also stirred in a handful of grated Parmesan cheese.

I'd eat that.

Russ

BROILED POLENTA WITH FENNEL SEEDS
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
4 cups water
2 TBsp butter
1TBsp fennel seeds
Olive oil, for brushing

DIRECTIONS

Serve immediately.

Grilled Polenta, this is an OMG dish to me 😍👏🏻

Back
Top Bottom