Recipe Brownies

joycemcgregor

Veteran
Local time
7:37 AM
I love brownies and wanted to make some yesterday. I have a number of good recipes, but all required butter and I had none. So I did a bit of searching and found this one that uses oil instead. I tried it and it was great, so i decided to share it.

Brownies with oil

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
+1/2 teaspoon baking soda
+1/3 cup vegetable oil
+1/2 cup boiling water
+2 cups white sugar
+2 eggs
+1/3 cup vegetable oil
+1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
+1 teaspoon vanilla extract
+1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
Prep
15 m
Cook
35 m
Ready In
55 m
1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
2In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa and baking soda. Add 1/3 cup vegetable oil
and boiling water. Mix until well blended and thickened. Stir in the sugar, eggs, and
remaining 1/3 cup oil. Finally, add the flour, vanilla and salt; mix just until all of
the flour is absorbed. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
3Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the
cake comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
They are cakey, but very good. Next time I will make them with walnuts and maybe a thin chocolate glaze.

I often do that too - if I'm missing a particular ingredient I'll have a look online and see what I can find that doesn't require that ingredient or substitutes it with something I do have! Glad to hear your recipe turned out well!

They look good. I am missing eggs, so I better get those before attempting to make any brownies. I think I mean I know eggs are a binder, and that might not be
critical, but I think they add moisture too.

I also look online to see what I can use if I am missing an ingredient. I love brownies, but I use a mix. Yours are much better than my mix I am sure.

Sounds good.

I see that you don't use eggs, I usually don't like eggs in my cakes, and use bananas instead.
Anyone tried it? It works just like eggs, helps to keep the cake together.

Usually 1 egg for two banana ratio.

Back
Top Bottom