Recipe Brussels Sprouts, Chilli and Thyme Jam

Elawin

Guru
Local time
3:08 AM
One of the large baking brands companies in the UK (The Silver Spoon Company) has published a recipe for this jam Has anyone made it, and what did they think of it? Or have you used any other unconventional ingredients to make jam?

Ingredients

• 500g Brussels sprouts (trimmed and washed)
  • 1 Red onion
  • 3 Red chilli (deseeded)
  • Ginger (thumb sized, Fresh root ginger, Peeled)
  • 4 Garlic clove(s) (peeled)
  • 1 tbsp Olive oil
  • 100ml Red wine vinegar
  • 1 Lemon(s) (zest and juice)
  • 400g Unrefined golden caster sugar
  • 50ml Pectin (certo)
  • 10 Thyme (sprigs, Leaves only)
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 120°C, gas ½. Wash your jars, then place them on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 10 minutes.
  2. In a blender, whizz together the chilli, onion, ginger and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion mixture for a few minutes. Now add the Brussels sprouts to the blender and whizz until finely chopped. Add this to the same pan, and cook, stirring for a further few minutes until they soften.
  3. Tip the cooked Brussels sprouts into a large heavy based pan, and add the rest of the ingredients, except for the thyme leaves. Bring to a simmer, then cook at a rolling boil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. After about 10 minutes, add the thyme leaves and place a saucer in the fridge to chill. If the mixture is looking a bit dry and begins to stick to the base of the pan add some water in 100ml intervals. (I usually need to add about 300ml water in total).
  4. Turn off the heat, then drop a little jam onto a saucer. Place it in the fridge, wait a couple of minutes and see whether it has begun to set, in which case you can start filling your jars. (preferably using a funnel) If the jam hasn't quite set, put the jam to boil again and check for set after another 5 minutes.
https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts,-chilli-and-thyme-jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds very odd to me. I wonder who the 'I' is in the the recipe (Step 3)? No author is credited.

Then again, I suppose it is a vegetable pickle really (like an Indian pickle).

It sounds very odd to me. I wonder who the 'I' is in the the recipe (Step 3)? No author is credited.

Then again, I suppose it is a vegetable pickle really (like an Indian pickle).
I would have thought it a jam because it contains sugar and pectin. I've never heard of anyone putting pectin in pickle.
The 'I' presumably refers to one of the Billington's team who produce the recipes, but no names seemed to be mentioned on the site, which seems to have changed a bit from the last time I looked at anything on there. Of course the name may be on their Facebook page and just not transferred over.

Last edited:
I would have thought it a jam because it contains sugar and pectin. I've never heard of anyone putting pectin in pickle.
The 'I' presumably refers to one of the Billington's team who produce the recipes, but no names seemed to be mentioned on the site, which seems to have changed a bit from the last time I looked at anything on there. Of course the name may be on their Facebook page and just not transferred over.

Yes, I see what you mean re the pectin although sugar (or jaggery) is often included in Indian pickle. At any rate it is not the sort of jam you have on bread for tea. I suppose it could be served with roast chicken or turkey.

They do say it is a Christmas jam recipe, so presumably you would have it with the cold leftovers. The more I look at the recipe, the more I want to try it!

Back
Top Bottom