Recipe Brusselsprouts with honey and walnuts

CoffeeTalk

Veteran
Local time
9:25 AM
There are several ways to make this, I like both a sweet and a salt version.

Ingredients:
500 g of brusselsprouts
2-5 tbs of honey
50-75 g of unsalted walnuts
oil 1-2 tbs

Instructions:
You can use either fresh or frozen sprouts, cut off brown parts and take of yellow leaf. Stem your sprouts for about 3 minutes: pour 1 cm water in a casserole place a sieve or steamplate over, put your sprouts in and steam for about 3 minutes. Its okay if they are not fully cooked through yet.
In a cast iron skillet pour in a bit of oil and honey , add the sprouts and on very low heat swirl them around for 4-8 minutes.
Coarsely chop the walnuts.
Pour the sprouts into a serving dish , make sure you get all the honey onto it, and stir in the walnuts.

For a salty version add sprinkle of good sea salt on just before serving.
For a twist , use fresh mashed ginger or ginger-honey.

For a vegan dish simply use plum sauce instead of honey.

I love brussels sprouts and think walnuts would go well with them. I shall try this recipe but I won't use a lot of honey, just enough to coat the sprouts and get the nuts to stick to them.

I love brussels sprouts and think walnuts would go well with them. I shall try this recipe but I won't use a lot of honey, just enough to coat the sprouts and get the nuts to stick to them.
As much honey as you like, the trick is to get a good melted honey to cover the brussels sprouts to add that slight sweetness to it, but that is achieved by adding a bit of oil to mix the honey with too. Do try adding some spice too , ginger is a nice addition to the honey and sprouts to make a more complex taste.

I never used to like brussel sprouts, but I had them roasted in a restaurant and they were really nice. I guess I had the image of boiled and bland ones as a child with school dinners and a Sunday lunch. I like the idea of honey, as I like honey roasted parsnips and carrots. As you gather I like flavor and an added way for me to eat my vegetables!

Back
Top Bottom