Recipe Bud Light Bread (one rise method)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:52 AM
It wasn't meant to be Bud Light - I bought a good brown ale the other day for making this beer bread. But there it was - gone! My son had drunk it. :mad: Bud Light was the only alternative in the house. It worked out OK. You can really taste the Masa Harina (blue cornmeal) in this bread even though only 50g is used. It has a very distinctive musky flavour which is hard to describe.

fullsizeoutput_3995.jpeg

Ingredients
200g white bread flour
100g buckwheat flour
100g spelt flour
50g masa harina
50g brown wholewheat flour
50g pumpkin seeds
7g dried yeast
9 g salt
300 ml of beer at room temperature

Method
  1. Place all the flours and the pumpkin seeds into a mixing bowl and mix.
  2. Add the yeast to one side of the bowl and salt to the other.
  3. Gradually add the beer to form a soft dough. You may not need all the beer.
  4. Turn onto an oiled counter and knead the dough until smooth and elastic,
  5. Place the dough in a floured bannaton or other container. Cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.
  6. Heat the oven to 180 C.
  7. Turn the dough out of the bannaton onto a baking tray and bake for 30 - 35 mins.
fullsizeoutput_39ad.jpeg

Last edited:
20% sarrasin, not a wet dough, trialling masa harina, a single proving - pretty brave stuff.

Interesting looking crumb too. Nice touch with the pumpkin seeds

20% sarrasin, not a wet dough, trialling masa harina, a single proving - pretty brave stuff.

Interesting looking crumb too. Nice touch with the pumpkin seeds

Not a wet dough - but masa harina has this 'heavy' effect. Same with chestnut flour if you have ever used it. The dough becomes a bit 'putty like', so I think its best not to make a wet dough. Anyway - its easy and quick to do and it works. Its all been eaten with some ripe brie and also toasted with jam.

Same with chestnut flour if you have ever used it.

No - I haven't. E was looking for some last year - found it in the local health-food place - 18 euros a kilo, or something silly like that. If I ever do get any, I'd love to make bread with it

toasted with jam.

You toast fresh bread??? I sometimes think that's England's great gift to the culinary world - toast....

Got a new thread for you right there ...

Back
Top Bottom