Butchering Animals for Food

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
12:32 PM
Would you butcher this?

full.jpg

Last edited:
No. I would be a pescatarian if I had to slaughter animals for my food. No problems with fish or other types of seafood, but mammals and poultry, nope. Not sure about reptiles and amphibians. Guess it depends on how hungry I was.

I used to home kill sheep ( hoggets) and pigs. Pigs a .22 to the head then stick them. That was 30 years ago when a friend was a farm hand and did kills for his boss. Sheep just slit the throat and bleed out.

Russ

I dispatch (kill) and butcher chickens for food, and would butcher other poultry (there are some quail who are overstaying their welcome here...) I have an extra rooster I need to put in the freezer by the weekend. (Too many for the number of hens available - which now that everyone is mature, is a problem.)

Fish I've been doing since being my Dad's child. I loved going fishing with him, the only thing that intimidated me then was the fish hook. I was scared of snagging myself.

If I ever do get mammalian livestock here, I won't butcher them, but hire that out. Although I will have to be prepared to put any suffering and likely-to-die animal down as painlessly as possible, without waiting for someone else to get here.

I dispatch (kill) and butcher chickens for food, and would butcher other poultry (there are some quail who are overstaying their welcome here...) I have an extra rooster I need to put in the freezer by the weekend. (Too many for the number of hens available - which now that everyone is mature, is a problem.)

Fish I've been doing since being my Dad's child. I loved going fishing with him, the only thing that intimidated me then was the fish hook. I was scared of snagging myself.

If I ever do get mammalian livestock here, I won't butcher them, but hire that out. Although I will have to be prepared to put any suffering and likely-to-die animal down as painlessly as possible, without waiting for someone else to get here.

I wouldn't do myself again, here we can get home kill outfits that come and do it. My friend the butcher does it for between 1.50 to 2 kg.

Russ

When out hunting and having taken a large animal, like deer or elk, gutting and removing the head at the site is necessary. After that, getting a butcher to create the steaks and other cuts is the other necessity for most hunters. Sometimes this can be worked out for a share or for cash.

Back
Top Bottom