Buttered Steamed Rice

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:34 PM
I normally add a little butter (or Meadowlea) to steamed Jasmine rice once it's cooked in the rice cooker but before the 15 minute standing/keep warm time. Yesterday, I added more than "a little" and the result was quite pleasing.

Does anyone else add butter to steamed rice? If so, what do you reckon?

I have eaten buttered rice, and it is quite good. I don't think I've ever done that at home, and now that I think about it, I wonder why.

CD

Does anyone else add butter to steamed rice? If so, what do you reckon?
Even when I could have butter and lived off rice I never added butter to rice. That word he like adding butter to wheat berries or freekah or pasta.

(Don't get me wrong, if you've ever read Swallow and Amazons (not watched), then you'll understand "buttered eggs" and we used to make that a lot, and that's 1oz of butter per egg. Heat the butter to almost burning, add the eggs, beat well and serve as soon as the butter starts to leak out of the scrambled egg, serve over toast and don't worry about the need to butter the toast. You talky won't need to! The actual recipe states "as much butter as you dare". So it's not like we avoided it, it's just not a combination that ever occurred to me. )

Even when I could have butter and lived off rice I never added butter to rice. That word he like adding butter to wheat berries or freekah or pasta.

I have read the "Swallow and Amazons" novel and sequels but it was many, many years ago. I don't remember anything of what they ate.

(Don't get me wrong, if you've ever read Swallow and Amazons (not watched), then you'll understand "buttered eggs" and we used to make that a lot, and that's 1oz of butter per egg. Heat the butter to almost burning, add the eggs, beat well and serve as soon as the butter starts to leak out of the scrambled egg, serve over toast and don't worry about the need to butter the toast. You talky won't need to! The actual recipe states "as much butter as you dare". So it's not like we avoided it, it's just not a combination that ever occurred to me. )

Buttered noodles (pasta) is good. Just pasta and butter, topped with some grated parm. Salt and pepper to taste. I like to add some garlic, too.

CD

Buttered rice sounds good, I like grains cooked with fat anyways. It doesn't have to be butter, any fat in the water can make a nice difference. I prefer the grains taking in the fat in the process of cooking

I cook rice on the stove top - 1 cup rice /two cups water. About 3 minutes before its ready, I add about 1/8 cup water, couple table spoons of butter and a few shakes of soy sauce. Put the lid back on, remove from heat and let set a few minutes and presto! One of my favorite "go to" meals when it's just me.

I made some basmati rice today to accompany an aloo ghobi . Rice was cooked for about 10 minutes, drained, big knob of butter, then left (with the lid on ) for about 5 minutes before serving.

Back
Top Bottom