Recipe Buttermilk Chicken with Honey & Saffron

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:27 AM
This is an easy recipe and totally delicious. My favourite way to cook chicken breasts and keep them moist is ‘en papillote’. You really can’t go wrong here with this straightforward recipe. The honey adds a lovely sweet taste which is not overpowering and compliments the mineral, earthy taste of saffron. Serve with green salad or a green vegetable for a lovely light lunch. This is a low fat recipe - to make it almost zero fat, omit the olive oil.

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 medium sized chicken breasts (or thighs), skinned & filletd
1 tbsp honey
4 tbsp buttermilk
A pinch of saffron threads
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
A splash of white wine
1 small shallot, finely sliced
Salt to taste
A few toasted flaked almonds
Chives or parsley, chopped

Method
  1. Place the buttermilk, honey & saffron in a bowl and whisk together. Immerse the chicken in the mixture and turn until coated. Cover the bowl & leave to marinate for at least an hour. You can leave it overnight if you wish.
  2. Heat the oven to 180C.
  3. Place the chicken on a large sheet of foil or foil lined with baking paper. You can cook both pieces of chicken together or make individual ‘parcels'. Turn up the edges of the foil slightly. Sprinkle salt over the chicken and then add the marinade.
  4. Add a splash of white wine and the olive oil (if using). Scatter the sliced shallots over and around the chicken.
  5. Place another sheet of foil over the top to make a tent. Crimp the edges of the foil together all round, to form a seal.
  6. Bake for 20 to 25 mins depending on the size of the chicken breast.
  7. Open the papillote and use a culinary blowtorch to lightly char the top of the chicken.
  8. To serve, slice the chicken across the grain and pour the juices over the top. Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley and toasted flaked almonds.

Excellent. When I see "buttermilk" and "chicken" in the same sentence in the States, the word "fried" always seems to be between them. Buttermilk adds a tanginess that I like, but dunking a super healthy chicken in a deep fryer has stopped me from trying it.

I was wondering how you got a char, but I see that you brought the flame to the bird. I will certainly have to give this one a go!

Excellent. When I see "buttermilk" and "chicken" in the same sentence in the States, the word "fried" always seems to be between them. Buttermilk adds a tanginess that I like, but dunking a super healthy chicken in a deep fryer has stopped me from trying it.

I was wondering how you got a char, but I see that you brought the flame to the bird. I will certainly have to give this one a go!

I'm using buttermilk more often now as well. This recipe looks good, I will make it soon.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom