Butternuts : What have you done with them?

Sandman

Veteran
Local time
7:32 AM
I like on occasion to make meals with Butternuts, you can do quite a bit with them.
My favourites are to make stuffed butternut with mince and mixed vegetables with butternut fritters on the side. It is very filling and there are almost always leftover fritters to eat.

I don't often buy butternut squash, but when I do I like to make a creamy, korma style curry with it. Like you, I have made stuffed butternut but I do a vegetarian version of this by filling it with peppers, tomato and courgette and then covering with cheese and baking until golden. My mum does a nice chicken and butternut stew.

Butternut squash is a go-to winter dish for me. It is hearty and warm and pairs best with savory flavors, making it such a cold-weather comfort food, you know?

I like to cut mine open, remove the seeds (I usually save them and roast them later), and bake with a little butter and brown sugar. I've also made it as the main dish and stuffed it with sausage and onions. Otherwise, I like it boiled, Iike it pureed as a soup base, I even like it cold in tortellini salads.

I like roasted butternut squash too, but I cannot stand the amount of work it takes to peel and cut it, so this version is rare for me. I'm planning to grow it this summer/fall so I guess I'll be experimenting with other preparation methods when I feel like I've been eating nothing but butternut for weeks!

Back
Top Bottom