buying a new slow cooker

chee12

Local time
7:51 PM
I am currently using a slow cooker that I paid $ 50 for I'm not very happy, so I decided to look for a new slow cooker Can you recommend me something?

In the US I think now they cook way too hot. Dunno if it’s a health and safety rule but on any setting the pot styles seem to boil the hell outta everything.

So I use a lodge Dutch oven with a hot plate.
Cheap through Walmart. Way more precise temp control.

I found the casserole style crock pots cook more gentle. Not so bloody hot. They were $18 forever. Then $23 and last I bought a few they were about $28 at Walmart online.

EB911F23-3FD1-447D-A8DC-C8C0617BCFAB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!! It all depends on the size & features that you are looking for. And what you want to cook in it.
in many cases it will be some kind of meat, usually chicken (sometimes whole chicken), potatoes, stew (combination - roe deer and beef) .....

It would help to know why you aren't happy with your current one.
the quality itself is bad .., in the beginning everything was ok, and very quickly all the slow cooker relented, when I close it the lid on it no longer seems to stand firm ... so I'm afraid to leave it and leave the house at 4 h ....

the quality itself is bad .., in the beginning everything was ok, and very quickly all the slow cooker relented, when I close it the lid on it no longer seems to stand firm ... so I'm afraid to leave it and leave the house at 4 h ....
Is it a plastic or glass lid?
Could it be the surface is uneven?
How long have you had it? Maybe there is a recall on your make and model.
Does it still cook properly (an unlevel lid will release moisture causing foods to dry out faster).

In the US I think now they cook way too hot. Dunno if it’s a health and safety rule but on any setting the pot styles seem to boil the hell outta everything.

So I use a lodge Dutch oven with a hot plate.
Cheap through Walmart. Way more precise temp control.

I found the casserole style crock pots cook more gentle. Not so bloody hot. They were $18 forever. Then $23 and last I bought a few they were about $28 at Walmart online.

View attachment 52782

View attachment 52780

A frind ofmine has a slow cooker like that one!!

fwiw....
in USA, the Feds got knots in their knickers because putting a frozen chicken in a crockpot on low heat allowed it to be in the "danger zone" too long.
so, regs/stds were changed to the much hotter/more powerful side. the new ones all do every level and setting much hotter/higher than the old ones.

the complaints/old/new rules/stds are now behind a paywall -

Such is the case with this small chicken roaster. The cooking element is inside the thick double-walled cover, which cooks a chicken & other things faster than your regular oven. Preheat time is shortened also. I ordered this from Amazon. Other larger ovens can cook a frozen bird with halogen heat & a cyclonic fan to get it done in almost record time!!

ATK did a video in which they compared a slow-cooker with an Instant Pot (AKA Pressure Cooker/Multi-cooker). Both offer slow-cooker options, however they concluded that because the Instant Pot can do more for you than just slow-cook, it's the better option, unless you really need the large volume that a slow-cooker can offer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLX40ge4zQ

I've never owned a slow-cooker, but I do have an Instant Pot which I use several times a week for making rice, beans, steaming, or even just disinfecting various items. I've only used it's slow cooker option once, however it worked well and I would use it again.

My Ninja Foodi is alsoa slow cooker. I've never used that feature on it though, mainly because I have 2 other large units dedicated to slow cooking. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom