Buying in Bulk

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
10:08 AM
I find that a membership to Sam's Club, Costo or Bj's Warehouse is a good way to get good bargains on staples that I use at home. I have had a Sam's Club membership in the past and I would shop there every three to four months for staples such as flour, sugar, pastas, spices, baking goods, pickles and condiments. I would also load up on pepperoni and cheese to make homemade frozen pizzas as well. I see a real savings for our household when I do this because my local grocery stores do not double or triple coupons.

Does anyone else buy in bulk and do you also see a savings?

I buy in bulk for some items or usr special offers for stuff we would normally consume. rice and cashew nuts are the main items I buy in bulk. basmati rice which we eat a lot of its much cheaper in larger 5 or 10kg bags which I can usually find in one of the large supermarkets around my in laws home in a large Asian area so the supermarket dots the really big bags of things. cashew nuts are just significantly cheaper bought in bulk and we use quite a lot of those as dairy replacement items in our diet. gram flour is another that I buy in bulk as well.

I buy in bulk for some items or usr special offers for stuff we would normally consume. rice and cashew nuts are the main items I buy in bulk. basmati rice which we eat a lot of its much cheaper in larger 5 or 10kg bags which I can usually find in one of the large supermarkets around my in laws home in a large Asian area so the supermarket dots the really big bags of things. cashew nuts are just significantly cheaper bought in bulk and we use quite a lot of those as dairy replacement items in our diet. gram flour is another that I buy in bulk as well.

I think that it is much more economical for us. There are certain things that can't be bought in bulk but I have several things that I do purchase in bulk and store.

I like to save money throughout the month to buy in bulk the next one, but I found that buying at my local wholesalers market is cheaper than buying at Costsco, Sam's Club and all other membership discount stores.

Advantages with the local wholesalers market does not only include that they have fresher products and sell them for a really low price, but also that they sell in retail but respecting the wholesale pricing. Hence I can buy enough provisions one month upfront and return to replenish my pantry two months later.

I like to save money throughout the month to buy in bulk the next one, but I found that buying at my local wholesalers market is cheaper than buying at Costsco, Sam's Club and all other membership discount stores.

Advantages with the local wholesalers market does not only include that they have fresher products and sell them for a really low price, but also that they sell in retail but respecting the wholesale pricing. Hence I can buy enough provisions one month upfront and return to replenish my pantry two months later.

You are lucky to have local wholesalers. I shop so many places monthly that it gets to be funny at times. Hubby refuses to go grocery shopping with me. I like to hit the sales when they come out weekly. I do still enjoy the advantage of Sam's Club though.

Yes, having local wholesalers is an advantage, and certainly you brought to my mind when I used to go shopping with my mom. We had to visit at least 3 supermarkets to get half of the list done, and many times we had to go to a few more the next one or two days as the only way to complete the shopping list and still save money that otherwise wouldn't be possible to save buying from a single store.

I think this kind of shopping tours are in part why your hubby refuses to go with you :wink:

I used to have a Sam's Club membership, but I recently got a Costco membership instead.... I feel that their fresh meats and produce are fresher and better prepared, and that their store is cleaner. I love these stores! I stock up on everything from non-perishable foods, condiments, dog food, batteries (you'd be amazed how long a 50 pack of AA or AAA lasts you!), and even household items... I got 45 rolls of thick, 2 ply toilet paper (the generic Costco brand) for less than $20, which lasts my home over 3 months! Pus, both Sam's Club and Costco have their own gas station, where members get discounted gas prices- that alone is worthwhile to me. Right now I get gas about $0.90 cheaper per gallon, which goes a long way!

For some products, I shop online. For example, when I sell candy/cakes/cupcakes, I buy paper food boxes wholesale online, which despite shipping still saves me a lot of money...

I also usually get good deals on fresh eggs/milk/produce by buying from my local farmers market... many of them will give you tremendous prices if you routinely purchase large orders from them.

Back
Top Bottom