Buying local. What are your views?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
12:07 PM
[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

On Facebook I have been invited to join a group Buy British Made, I sort of understand the reasoning due to brexit but can't help feeling there will be a fair bit of racism on there so staying well clear-everyone is entitled to their opinion but I try to stay away from people and things that make me angry.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Facebook I have been invited to join a group Buy British Made, I sort of understand the reasoning due to brexit but can't help feeling there will be a fair bit of racism on there so staying well clear-everyone is entitled to their opinion but I try to stay away from people and things that make me angry.
Ugh. That's always been a big deal here, for as long as I can remember - "Buy American! Protect American jobs!"

I'll research a product, figure out how much I'm willing to spend, and buy where/what I please, thank you very much.

I really appreciate the "buy local" movements, but in our current world, buying local only would mean having to do without a lot of products that we are used to and enjoy, and that are not produced locally.

I pointed that out to my boss who feels that we should buy products from this country, there is a lot of fruit and veg we cannot grow over here so our diet would be pretty bland.

Ugh. That's always been a big deal here, for as long as I can remember - "Buy American! Protect American jobs!"

I'll research a product, figure out how much I'm willing to spend, and buy where/what I please, thank you very much.

I at least try to buy American. Most people probably just buy on price. Walmart is the country's largest retailer, and people love the low prices, but don't seem to care that everything is made in China.

For years, I only bought American cars. If I were in the market for a pickup truck, it would definitely be American truck. That's what we do best. But, my last seven cars have been European. The European brands just happened to have what I wanted -- there was no bias against American cars.

Some USA made products are a no brainer for me. All Clad pots and pans are the best, IMO, so it is easy to buy American in that case. Plus, they are products that will outlive me.

The people who make me want to slap them are the hypocrites. They tell politicians to "bring American jobs back," then go to Walmart and load their carts up with cheap Chinese crap.

CD

I really appreciate the "buy local" movements, but in our current world, buying local only would mean having to do without a lot of products that we are used to and enjoy, and that are not produced locally.

One pronlem is that we have all become used to being able to buy seasonal produce any day of the year. It just comes from another place in the world where it is in season. I was in the grocery store today, and the produce section had a big supply of a variety of tomatoes. It's October. Tomato season here was done in July.

Like you said, it would be hard to go back to only being able to get produce that is in season where we live, like people did 100 years ago.

CD

One pronlem is that we have all become used to being able to buy seasonal produce any day of the year. It just comes from another place in the world where it is in season. I was in the grocery store today, and the produce section had a big supply of a variety of tomatoes. It's October. Tomato season here was done in July.

Like you said, it would be hard to go back to only being able to get produce that is in season where we live, like people did 100 years ago.

CD

My grandma says her mom used to say, when people didn't have refrigerators everything was eaten in season and everything tasted good. Nowadays food tastes like nothing.

My grandma says her mom used to say, when people didn't have refrigerators everything was eaten in season and everything tasted good. Nowadays food tastes like nothing.

That is especially true for tomatoes here in Texas. Supermarket tomatoes don't taste BAD, they don't taste like ANYTHING. Squeeze them for tomato juice, and you'll get a glass of water.

CD

I pointed that out to my boss who feels that we should buy products from this country, there is a lot of fruit and veg we cannot grow over here so our diet would be pretty bland.
Well, spices are a good place to start. If I'm stuck buying local, there go my spices.

The European brands just happened to have what I wanted -- there was no bias against American cars.
I don't have any bias against any American product, I just don't like, "buy our stuff because we're American," because the unspoken end of that thought is, "...and help out your own kind."

Also, I'm instantly suspicious of any product whose selling point is, "I was made in this country," as opposed to "I'm a high-quality/high-value-for-money product."

I don't care where something comes from as long as it fulfills the requirements I have. I'm rather happy, actually, that I live in a time when I can sit on my fat butt and shop the world via the internet.

Well, spices are a good place to start. If I'm stuck buying local, there go my spices.

I don't have any bias against any American product, I just don't like, "buy our stuff because we're American," because the unspoken end of that thought is, "...and help out your own kind."

Also, I'm instantly suspicious of any product whose selling point is, "I was made in this country," as opposed to "I'm a high-quality/high-value-for-money product."

I don't care where something comes from as long as it fulfills the requirements I have. I'm rather happy, actually, that I live in a time when I can sit on my fat butt and shop the world via the internet.

If I had the time, and the information was available, I would love to be able to know if a product is made in a sweat shop. I don't want to support companies that use slave labor/prison labor, or have people locked into fire-trap facilities.

Companies under pressure for this practice include big names like Nike and Apple. They were forced to make changes due to really bad PR. The apparel industry is probably the worst.

CD

I look at the "Made in the USA" label as a bonus. If I like the product, I'll pay a bit more for it if it is made here. Again, I'll mention All Clad. Great product, and made in the USA. Same with Weber grills -- they are outstanding, and (mostly) made in the USA. They are worth the extra money because they last 20 years, while cheaper brands may last as little as two or three years. That's a win-win in my opinion.

CD

Indeed! Spices were imported to the UK hundreds of years ago so its not even a case of going back to the times of are great great grandmothers. The first non native spices came to Europe much earlier than one might think. A bit of research reveals that 'The Silk Road', which was made in the Bronze Age, brought Asian spices & plants to Europe and in the 1st century A.D., a sea route to India was discovered.

Having said that, it would be possible to grow almost anything in the using climate controlled greenhouses I suppose. At a cost.

Last edited:
I saw this image months ago, thought it could fit here now.
1603096658184.png

Of course thousands of years ago people were living only with local products and they were doing fine. I say thousands of years ago because just like Morning Glory said, international trade started early, and we've grown used to consuming products that can't be locally sourced.

I'm not sure if all food can be produced locally even with technology. I think coffee and cocoa, for example, require very specific climates, it's probably too difficult to grow them artificially at scale otherwise we'd have done it already. And both coffee and chocolate are kitchen essentials for a lot of people.

I'm not sure if all food can be produced locally even with technology. I think coffee and cocoa, for example, require very specific climates, it's probably too difficult to grow them artificially at scale otherwise we'd have done it already. And both coffee and chocolate are kitchen essentials for a lot of people.

You are right - I remember a UK food programme where the Chef decided to try to grow rice in the UK. It was hopeless - not enough could ever be produced to make it viable.

Last edited:

CD

Our growing season is just beginning and tomatoes are not done. We look forward to our "winter" strawberries. Our local varieties of avocado trees have fruit ready to pick. Daddy sugar is in full swing. Last time I was up state, citrus is a going concern, though I won't buy any Florida oranges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom